1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 98 freezes completely

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Slogoer, Dec 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Slogoer

Slogoer Thread Starter

After my computer has been on for a while (2 or more hours), it will often freeze up. It doesn't matter what program is running: games, internet, excel, etc. Everything just freezes. If I use ctrl+alt+del that doesn't work either. Absolutely nothing happens. No mouse pointer, no keyboard function, nothing.

I have to turn off the power and start again. Doing so gives me another 2-3 hours before the problem recurs, but sometimes it doesn't happen.

Virus scan is regular and updated.

Thanks to anyone for any suggestions.

2. rkselby98

rkselby98

Go to my web site and follow the instruction in the index and follow the instructions for the entries with the 3 red * behind them. Then go to msconfig and remove any programs you don't need at start up.

This should solve your problem.

http://www.rselby.com/Windows.html

3. dogbonz

dogbonz

Another possibility is that
    heat is building up after 2-3
    hours of use.

Make sure your main fan is not
    up against an obstruction, and
    that your CPU fan is working OK.

4. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi Slogoer,
    Also a power supply that is going bad can cause it to freeze up!

5. ratchet

ratchet

Have you read OS decay at MSN?:) :)

6. Slogoer

Slogoer Thread Starter

Just to update everyone, I used the MSConfig command in the "run" box from the start button. Then I closed everything I did not believe was essential. This brought system resources upt to 74% and the system has not locked in over 3 weeks. Thanks to all of you who helped and provided suggestions.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61874

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice