Windows 98 freezes completely

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Slogoer

After my computer has been on for a while (2 or more hours), it will often freeze up. It doesn't matter what program is running: games, internet, excel, etc. Everything just freezes. If I use ctrl+alt+del that doesn't work either. Absolutely nothing happens. No mouse pointer, no keyboard function, nothing.

I have to turn off the power and start again. Doing so gives me another 2-3 hours before the problem recurs, but sometimes it doesn't happen.

Virus scan is regular and updated.

Thanks to anyone for any suggestions.

Go to my web site and follow the instruction in the index and follow the instructions for the entries with the 3 red * behind them. Then go to msconfig and remove any programs you don't need at start up.

This should solve your problem.

http://www.rselby.com/Windows.html

Another possibility is that
heat is building up after 2-3
hours of use.

Make sure your main fan is not
up against an obstruction, and
that your CPU fan is working OK.

Slogoer

Just to update everyone, I used the MSConfig command in the "run" box from the start button. Then I closed everything I did not believe was essential. This brought system resources upt to 74% and the system has not locked in over 3 weeks. Thanks to all of you who helped and provided suggestions.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online