1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 98 hangs at startup - I know the problem but not the fix

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Tim87529, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tim87529

Tim87529 Thread Starter

Here's my problem, which is apparently really common: Windows 98 is slow to start.The hard drive will be grinding along happily until just before the desktop, and then everything stops, and appears to be frozen. However, at about the point where I'm tempted to push reset, the computer will snap out of it and complete the start up without problems. I have a fairly good idea of what is the cause. After messing about with msconfig and having no luck, I used a free program called Boot Log Analyser to go through the bootlog.txt file, and I dug up what I believe to be the problem. Here are the longest processes, as they appear in the analyser program, that appear to be slowing everything down:

Duration: Event:

80.889 initing esdi_506.pdr

38.167 initDone=TSRQuery (time estimated)

10.833 INITCOMPLETE=SAVRT

Everything else is 6 seconds or less; the above 3 are the longest. So here's my predicament: Now that I've found the problem, what do I do? What does "esdi_506.pdr" run or do? Any advice is appreciated, if more details are needed, please let me know.

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

This is a well known problem, and I don't think anyone has come up with the definitive answer. Certainly I used to have it and I spent ages trying to remove it - with no success. It was only when I changed my mobo and re-installed that it went away.

I think it is down to the combination of Mobo, Disk and the Disk drivers.

3. A Hawk

A Hawk

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

By the way, I suspect the delay is being caused by some function that MS decided not to log. I have studied the logs of several machines displaying this delay, and the apparent cause is different in each case.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219180

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice