1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 98 hangs during Restart

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by saunderr, Jan 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. saunderr

saunderr Thread Starter

I have Windows 98 installed on a Pent. II 266MHz w/MMX,64MB/512K Cache/6.4GB HD. (I know, it's time to upgrade!). The problem:
    When I need to do a restart (after installing software/hardware, changing settings etc.) the system shuts down, starts booting, but hangs after the full screen windows logo comes up. The only way out is to power-off.
    The system seems to run normally after a cold start (I do have a lot of problems with my CD burner software, but that's another story).

I appreciate any ideas to solve this problem.
    Thanks!

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Does the hang only occur after installations, etc, or with any restart?

You are not obligated to do a "warm" restart in those instances. If you can get the system to completely shutdown and then manually power back up -- it will accomplish the same purpose.

Typically behind the "logo" screen the autoexec.bat or windows registry is loading, you can press esc and see if anything on the screen gives a clue to what's hanging. Some AVs run scans from the autoexec.bat file, for example. But most likely an IRQ conflict is occuring, perhaps involving network or sound card devices.

3. saunderr

saunderr Thread Starter

The hang occurs with any restart, whether I install/uninstall/or just do nothing.
    My device manager indicates a conflict (!) with the Mpact Media Processer (under Multimedia devices). Could that be the problem, and if so how do I fix it?
    Thanks for the help.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Looks like a DVD device. Did you install it yourself, or did it come pre configured.

I'm not much of a hardware person, but yes it could cause the hang. You might try removing and reinstalling the drivers, assuming you have them.

A general troubleshooter here...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q296060

You can try disabling it in its Device Manager>Properties>settings page and see if that resolves the hang. You should probably do a cold shutdown and then restart.

5. saunderr

saunderr Thread Starter

As it turns out, there were no conflicts, I mis-read the device manager info.
    The reason I want to do a restart is because I want to uncheck "DMA" setting for a CD-RW drive. Of course I get a message that says I need to restart for the change to take affect. Since I can't do that, I shutdown and power up again. But when I check the setting again, the DMA setting is checked again.
    Thanks again and sorry I misled you about the IRQ conflict. Back to square one!

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It really shouldn't matter whether you warm restart or cold shutdown, the box should generally remain unchecked. There may be BIOS or motherboard issues here I don't understand. The hangs on restarting are probably the most serious issue and we could do some "cleanboot" troubleshooting to see if we can isolate the problem there.

As for the DMA staying checked, I found a similar thread in google>groups. The poster's answer was to edit the registry directly.

see "re cant uncheck dma..." in the following list:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=uncheck+dma+site:microsoft.com&hl=en&sa=N&tab=wg

solution near the bottom of the thread.

You can try running regedit and enter:

DMACurrentlyUsed

in the Edit>Find field; when getting "hits", press f3 to continue searching. Look for one associated with the device you want to modify, then right click on the entry in the right hand pane and modify the value to 0. Try a cold shutdown and startup afterwards.

Also here is a troubleshooter for Win98 shutdown problems. The techniques and sometimes the "fixes" are the same.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q202633

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65417

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice