1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 98 Hardware Conflict

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Shinew, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shinew

Shinew Thread Starter

I just cleaned my hard drive and reloaded Windows 98 on a IBM Thinkpad 770 laptop. I've extensively used the IBM download web page to load all updates, but can't find one to resolve this issue. I have a hardware conflict. Under "Hard disk Controllers", I have a conflict with PCI IDE controller. Resource Conflict 15. Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

2. Delta Dart

Delta Dart

Shine
    Go to:
    Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Information.
    Double click Hardware Resources and Conflict/Sharing.
    It will display what is using IRQ 15
    My Win 98 shows the following:
    1. Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    2. Intel82371AB/EB PCI Buss Master IDE Controller
    Yours may be different as I have a Gateway but you should see everything that is attempting to use IRQ 15 and any possible conflicts. Hope this helps.
    Russ

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

IRQ 14/15 should be exclusively used by the Ide primary/secondary channels, although sometimes a SCSI device will use the secondary if there is not one attached.

4. Shinew

Shinew Thread Starter

Thanks guys...but I only have the PCI IDE controller on 15. I have some other odd things going on. When I enact the hardware wizard to tell me the issue, I don't go anywhere...it just hangs up the computer. Or, when I browse to find me the best possible driver...it hangs up the computer again. Quite frankly, I don't know understand what hardware the computer is finding and is looking for the driver. Other then what I just decribed, the computer functions fine. So....if you can give me any more leads...I'd be grateful. Bill

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330245

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice