1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 98 help menus have no text just these [][][][][][] characters showing

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Southern Belle, Dec 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Southern Belle

Southern Belle Thread Starter

heyal,

when opening the help menu and noticed it in the game Age of Wonders demo there is no text just these characters [][][][][][][][].

been told that possibly missing font and to change to arial or veranda but no luck.

what can be the problem and how do i fix it?

any help is appreciated,
    thank you,
    southern belle

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

When you say the Help Menu, do you mean the help menu on the toolbar? OR when you open Help itself?
    Also, what Operating system are you suing, please?

Have you removed of installed anything recently?

3. Southern Belle

heyal,

The help menu from the start button regular help the pages are there on right side pane but menu text is [][][][][][] and noticed it in the age of wonders demo.

win98se

even did the fontreg.exe as described by another users post but that didn't help either but haven't deleted the "font key" in registry yet will try that later too.

thanks again,
    sb

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Wait. Do not delete the Font key in the registry. What directions are you trying to follw?

5. Southern Belle

heyal,

hi, lol haven't done it yet but was microsofts instructions the fontreg didn't work. and still see the[][][][][][] in the menus.

thanks,
    sb

6. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Do you have a link to those directions? I have been trying to find more information to help but have come up empty so far.

7. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

8. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Before you opne the registry and try that method. ( I'm not sure this is the problem) You may have a corrupt ttfcache file. This is a hidden file in C:\windows
    Be sure you have Show all files selected in Folder Options>view so you can see it.

Find the ttfcache file and delete it. Shut down the computer. Let it sit a minute. Restart. Windows will recreate the ttfcache.

9. Southern Belle

:) heyal,

ok hun just deleted file and going to reboot will let you know, thanks!:D :D :D :D :D

sb

10. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

SB... have you scanned for virus.... there is a virus that is corrupting font.

Hope your scanner is fully updated & if you need ... housecall is always available.
    http://housecall.antivirus.com/

11. Southern Belle

heyal,

sorry about taking so long to get back here.

well the previous boot didn't fix it.

other attempt didn't either.

Oh wait last nite ....well SOMEBODY SLAP ME!!!

renamed Fonts dir [for 4th] time and made new one...
    **extracted the fonts from the win98 cd.... rebooted...
    checked my Help Menu and Poof I can See Characters and type in the search box and still see characters....

Ok Here's the reason somebody should slap me..... Stupid assssss me copied and/or selected "ALL" fonts for install and if I'm not worse off than aI was already getting?... aaahh yeah

Ok back where I started from. but now I think I know that its the Roman.fon or *.fon files that are the reason or the ones Not working.

RE: virus I have been there to House Call and Nothing, New install of McAfee 6 and Nothing but couldn't really find anything on Virus that effects fonts Just older one that is the "font" name in it.

ok i'll check back to see what replies are here.

Thanks again yal are so kwel!
    :cool: :D :)
    southern belle

*****NOTE:: Ms says fonts are in Win98_22.cab:rolleyes: :eek: they're NOT, theya are in the win98_47.cab and 49.cab...:eek: but go up to the 52/53.cab to besure lol if i'm wrong*****:cool: :D :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63420

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice