1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 98 in trouble

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by vignesh, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vignesh

vignesh Thread Starter

Anybody please help me. its URGENT
    my computer is dual boot running win xp and win 98
    and now my win 98 is showing some trouble when I start my win 98 there are no icons on the desktop and no start button and system tray.actully my computer was infected with some spywares such as sidefind,and internet optimizer.and some dangerous toolbars.when i tried to uninstall them manually this thing happened and windows desktop screen just went blank.I even tried booting win98 through safe mode but it didnt help

2. lehatche

lehatche

Hello! got a couple questions. 1 are they on the same hard drive? 2 have you ever formated a hard drive?

3. vignesh

vignesh Thread Starter

No they are not on the same hard drive.WIN 98 is in c drive and win xp is in drive d.and I have not formatted hard drive before.ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. I think the same hard drive question needs to be clarified better. C and D can be on the same hard drive.

Do you have one hard drive or two?

Also, have you tried choosing the 98 boot choice, tapping the F 8 key immediately, and at a command prompt, type

scanreg/restore
    and hit enter

What kind of restore dates do you have available?

5. vignesh

vignesh Thread Starter

hello,
    drive c and d are on the same hard drive.And no, i have not tried the f8 and enter option before.HOW CAN WE DO A SYSTEM RESTORE IN WIN98. I DONT HAVE A SYSTEM RESTORE DATE AS I DONT KNOW HOW TO CREATE A SYSTEM RESTORE POINT IN WIN98.THANKS FOR SHOWING INTEREST IN MY QUERY.

6. brindle

brindle

In 98\se a restore date is created automatically each time you turn on your computer. Only once a day though and the default is five dates.

7. Katzy

Katzy

It seems, to me, that reinstalling W98 would be the way to go. It's recommended that this is done every six months, anyway.

8. brindle

brindle

AcaCandy suggested you do a scanreg /restore in 98, I told you the registry is backed up once a day when you cold boot. Try AcaCandy's suggestion before doing anything else.

9. ~Candy~

What? That is ridiculous. Who recommends installing 98 every six months? I've run the same 98 setup for years :rolleyes:

Not to mention it would break the dual boot.

10. brindle

brindle

Candy that's the only reason I butted in on you...Didn't want the thread starter to run off and do a install, and not having any idea when you'd be back,,,,,well you know how it can go.

11. ~Candy~

Thanks brindle ;) Butt in anytime :)

12. Katzy

Katzy

Microsoft do. It's not what you'd call "Well-Publicised", for obvious reasons.

I'll have a look for the page that I found it on. Might take a while...

13. ~Candy~

Thanks. I'd definitely like to see it...........The Microsoft MVP leads probably would too :eek:

:D

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Wow...Every 6 months a reinstall????

I have so many customers with Win98 running fine for years, no lockups, crashes etc. And to think of all the money I could have been making.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274577

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice