1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 98 install - cdrom not working

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by chebber, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chebber

chebber Thread Starter

I have formatted my drive and have my recovery cd from my computer mfg, but my cdrom won't work. It didn't come with the computer, it's a Plextor, and so I guess the drivers aren't included on my recovery cd. How in the world am I going to get Windows 98 installed?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If you use the correct Windows 98 Boot Disk, it should enable the CD drive when the PC is booted first from the boot disk in the floppy drive.

Using a floppy boot with no CD support will mean its not recognised.

Download the program to crerate the boot disk from here:

www.bootdisk.com

3. chebber

chebber Thread Starter

Thanks, got the cd drive working. I did c:format /s and named the volume MAIN. Now how do I install the OS? I can see the WIN98 directory on the cd; do I just copy that over to the c drive? The only file on my c drive is command.com. Should I run that file?

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

There should be a SETUP or an INSTALL file on the CD. You run that file. Have not used 98 for so many years so forget which it is.

Copying the files over will not work, they need to be installed.

5. buf

buf

Though it has been a week since this thread was active, I don't know exactly where to begin but if you still have use of your CD drive, I believe you should simply put your recovery CD into the drive and reboot your computer. You should then be given the steps to take to restore your computer to the factory specs when you first bought it. I asume you have not added additonal hardware since first buying the computer. You should probably have only your keyboard, mouse and monitor attached to the computer while restoring.
    If successful, you will have to reinstall all of your software and whatever else you want.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270323

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice