1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 98 Install problems

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by MacDiesel, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MacDiesel

MacDiesel Thread Starter

i have an old IBM Thinkpad 760E with swapable floppy and cdrom drives. i am trying to install windows 98. I ran into problems getting it to read the cdrom when i inserted it instead of the floppy. Well i finally got it to read the cd rom drive with a few helpful instructions from a different post. when i turn the laptop on it asks if i wanna boot with cdrom support and i select yes. it flashes the win98 screen like it is booting up and gettin ready to install and then it says not ready reading drive a: abort, retry, fail. what is the problem now? any help would be greatly appreciated. it is starting to get frustrating. when i abort it says" the windows 98 startup disk could not create a temp. drive for the diagnostic tools. this may be because this computer has less than the minimum required extended memory.
    Path not found - :\comman.com
    Path not found - :\extract.exe
    Path not found - :readme.txt
    Please insert win 98 startup disk 2
    thanks all

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Are the source files already on the hard drive. Many vendors do this.

Typically it will be in the \windows\options\cabs (or cab) directory.

If they are there, then you can install from that directory. If you have any valuable data you want to keep, you don't need to format in order to get the benefits of a clean install.

See:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/install/reinstall.htm

For some suggestions.

3. MacDiesel

MacDiesel Thread Starter

i already formatted the hard drive. i wiped it out because it is an old laptop that was given to me and nothing was useful to me, and also i need to put a program on it that required win 98 instead of the win 95 that was on it.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Perhaps you know someone that can create a bootable CD ROM that will also allow you to access a CD ROM drive from DOS.

Then you can put in the Win98 CD, copy the source files to a directory on the drive and install from that directory.

If you only have a 2 gig partition (limit of Win95) and have a hard drive larger than that, you might want to run FDISK and repartition first.

5. MacDiesel

MacDiesel Thread Starter

no, i dont know anyone who could do that for me. i tried to do it my self from directions off the net, and it didn't work. since the computer now recognizes the cd rom would i still need to do that?

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Are you trying to boot from an original Win98 CD or one you created?

7. MacDiesel

MacDiesel Thread Starter

i am trying to boot from an original win98 cd

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you can boot and access the files on the CD ROM, then just copy the source files to a directory on the hard drive and install from there.

9. MacDiesel

MacDiesel Thread Starter

now that i think about it i think it might be booting up from the hard drive and not ready the cd rom. because when i type d: it says the drive not available or something like that. i guess i was thinking that it was reading the cd rom because it booted with the cdrom in the drive instead of the floppy. so now what do i need to do?

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

At this point I am confused about whether it ever booted to the CD or exactly what has happened.

Another solution is to download a boot floppy that has the generic CD ROM drivers. I have a section with instructions for creating a boot disk at http://www.onecomputerguy.com/install/floppies.htm.

There is also the generic one which you can download and extract. There are a lot of the DOS utilities there that don't normally get added when you make one from Win98. For example Diskcopy, Doskey, Format, More, Sys, Edit, Chkdsk, Deltree, Extract, Fdisk, Attrib, Label, Mem, Scandisk, Scanreg, Smartdrv and Xcopy.

1. Boot with this disk, SYS C: (just to make sure the correct system files are copied there).

2. Copy everything from the floppy to a directory on the hard drive.

3. Copy the config.sys and autoexec.bat files to the root of the C: drive

4. Edit them to reflect the path for any of the programs in those two files

5. Reboot.

This should then allow you to boot from the hard drive and then access the source files on the CD ROM. Then copy to a directory on the hard drive and install from that directory.

11. MacDiesel

MacDiesel Thread Starter

ok i will give that a try after work. how exactly do i copy the config.sys and autoexec.bat files to the root of the C: drive? also, how do i edit them to reflect the path for any of the programs in those two files? this sounds like something that i may have tried from a set of instructions i got of the net, but maybe it didn't work because the win98 boot disk i used was created with win98. thanks a lot

12. MacDiesel

MacDiesel Thread Starter

i formatted my hard drive and finally got it to boot up to the c: drive. i downloaded drivers for my cdrom from driverguide.com, and now i need to know how to install the driver through dos with the floppy drive.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273663

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice