1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 98 laptop problems goes blank after startup

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Gambler369, Dec 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gambler369

Gambler369 Thread Starter

I can purchase a Sony Viao Laptop from a company very cheap but it has problems there help desk couldn't fix.

It has Windows 98 installed and here is the problem

upon start up it states do not attempt to logon unless you are a authorized company user I click ok
    upon booting
    It asks to enter user name password and domain name, the password is just enter If I click ok it says No domain server was available to validate your password and takes me back to username and password

If I hit the cancel key the system loads and the desktop appears I can click on the Icons and it works fine for about 2-3 minutes then the system shuts down and goes blank the power is still on though

I tried to use a 98 1st and 2nd addition boot disk with no luck it says the NTLDR is missing press any key to restart I must be dumb I thought that was a windows nt file

I then tried to boot from a windows 2000 disk it tells me Inf File txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing setup cannot continue

I got my boot disks from bootdisk.com I was going to fdisk this hard drive and start over

very confused Thanks for the help

2. columbo

columbo

Hi,

In regards to the first problem that you indicated (being prompted for a username/password/domain at startup). Just hit cancel, then right-click on Network Neighbourhood, and choose Properties. Then you can either highlight and remove "Client for Microsoft Networks", or you can double-click "Client for Microsoft Networks", and take the checkmark off "Log on to Windows NT domain".
    Regarding the system shutdown, do you mean to say that after 2-3 minutes of use, the system shutdowns but the power-indicator light on the laptop remains on? I'm guessing that the power light remains on because you have an AC adapter powering the laptop. Next time you have the system up and running, go into Start, Settings, Control Panel, and open up Power Management. Check the settings in here, to see how the power management is set up (ie-how long for suspend, standby, etc) and try changing those settings.
    I would also recommend testing the system with a different battery and adapter. If this is unsuccessful, then you might want to enter the system setup (BIOS) upon bootup, and look at those power-management settings.

You are absolutely positive that this is a Win 98 system, correct? I don't know why you'd be getting an NTLDR missing error, while booting Windows 98. See if when you are booting up, you can go to a command-prompt. Hold down the ctrl-key while the system is first booting up, then select "command-prompt only" from the list.
    Stick a floppy-disk into the drive, format it, and type in:

cd windows\command
    smartdrv.exe
    bootdisk a:

This should create a bootdisk for you, that is compatible with your system. Also, leave the system running in DOS for a little while, just to see if it shuts itself down. This could help determine whether your power problem is physical, or software-related.

Good Luck :D

P.S- I have only ever seen that "Do not attempt to log on unless you are an authorized user" warning box on Windows NT or Windows 2000 machines. Never on a Win 98 system.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61112

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice