1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 98 Mis-reading Harddrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Buga, Jul 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Buga

Buga Thread Starter

Hi all. Hope you can help. I have a 20GB harddrive that is only reading 1.99GB with-in windows. It was reading 20GB (close to it anyway) before I did a re-boot. Since then, it's been 1.99. I've used fdisk and it says theres a 20 GB harddrive. I've used Maxtor's Harddrive disk. Says the same thing. This is a Maxtor 20Gb Harddrive. 466MHz. Windows 98 system. Any help would be great. Thanxs Rick

2. Sponsor

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Right-click your drive in My Computer. What does it say for File System?

4. Buga

Buga Thread Starter

It is Fat 32.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

What does fdisk say about the allocation on the drive? Does it say that there is one large, 20-gig partition, or does it subdivide it in any way?

How much space was used before? Are you missing anything?

6. Buga

Buga Thread Starter

Nope. Fdisk says thers a 20GB on the hard drive in one partiton. No other partitions.

Before I re-installed windows 98 it was showing (in windows) 18.7 GB or close on the harddrive. I had about 10 used GB and alittle under that un-used. Not missing anything. Just trying to get a nice re-install. I save everything to CD-R instead of harddrive as to not lose anything. But now with only 2 GB. Have no room for programs. Also don't know if it matters but this re-install is with a restore disk not a stright-up 98. I have tried a stright 98 with no help. On my 5th re-install in 2 days. Thanxs

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. I don't think you mentioned the reinstall before. That does make a difference. Did you do an fdisk and wipe the drive before the reinstallation? If so, perhaps you did not enable large disk support.

If you did enable large disk support, I suggest you run this partition repair program to see what it can do for you. If there are errors in the partition table, this program should fix it. Run the program to create a bootable floppy and boot your machine from it.

http://users.adelphia.net/~abraxas/dl/partfix.exe

If that doesn't work, I'd suggest you fdisk your drive and format and re-install. Even if everything works OK now, you don't want partition errors causing you to lose everything later at some unexpected point.

Use this program to run Win98 setup from a GUI. Fdisk and gdisk are also available on this disk and it can run setup automatically.

http://users.adelphia.net/~abraxas/dl/MBOOT8.exe

8. Buga

Buga Thread Starter

Ok Thanxs. I will give this a shot. And see what happens.

This has been a very helpful site. I must say thanxs even if i can't get it figured out. Alot of stuff to read. And Learn. Its Great!!!!

I would also like to ask about formatting the hard drive. What is the best way. I have read things before other places. But have found other ways and stuff. Was wondering on your opion of like using the harddrive manf. disk or like a boot and nuke, or maybe just dos. I've got it going through a 7 swipe boot and nuke now. Which will take a while. But kinda wondering if its worth it after not reading much on that here as of yet.

Again Thanxs. Rick

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Using the "boot and nuke" program? Not really necessary most of the time. A simple fdisk and format from a setup disk will do a very good job. Nuking and wiping are more appropriate for security considerations or before selling or throwing away a computer. You want to insure that people don't use the same tools we recommend on this site for file recovery to find credit card numbers, passwords, financial records, nuke blueprints, etc.

just use a normal boot disk. Run fdisk and remove all partitions. Then, use fdisk to create partitions as you want. make the partition that you want to install to active, format it, and run setup.

If you are nuking the drive now, you won't need that repair program since you will have no partitions to repair.

10. Buga

Buga Thread Starter

Again thanxs. I'll let you know how it all comes out.

Going into info overload. Gotta love it.

11. Buga

Buga Thread Starter

Thanxs Elvandil. Got it all working good again. Not after a few minor head-butts to the wall. :eek:)

After a 26 hour Nuke, I finally got windows back on. Then I ran into the system froze while loading. When it checks for boot record or something like that on the a:, d:, then the harddrive. It would just stop after saying ok to the c drive. Sat for an hour. Was going nuts and was gonna get back on here for maybe alittle more help. Then I thought I'd try the partfix. Just to see. Wasn't going to since didn't think I'd need it, like you said after a format. But what the hay. Went through it didn't really do anything other than checking and verifiyin' then it said I'd have to re-start. k. Right into windows she went. And all the harddrive was there.

Must say thank you. I'd still be working on it for weeks probly. Glad I found this site somehow. Don't even remember now. I'm sure a search engine. But by the time I got to looking I was going nuts. Again thanxs for your help Elvandil. Rick

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

You're very welcome. People often have errors in their MBR's or partition tables and don't even know it. Sometimes they never even find out, and other times the error comes knocking in a heavy way. Testing drives on computers I work on, about half had at least a minor error in the partition tables. That is one reason I have been spending a lot of time lately devoted to partition problems. Glad the program worked for you. It doesn't tell you much, but then a bunch of numbers filling the screen while it does its work wouldn't tell you much, either.

Have fun.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/255114