1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 98, MS-DOS software can't print in any printer?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by el1ero, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. el1ero

el1ero Thread Starter

I have a software on ms-dos working on Windows 98 OS. Now I need a printer. Which one? I can't find one that can fit my needs.

Thanks

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I doubt very seriously that you'll find a new printer or all-in-one that works with a Windows operating system older than Windows XP or 2000.

---------------------------------------------------------

3. el1ero

el1ero Thread Starter

I also have the software on MS-DOS running on another computer with XP. What you recommend?

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I know nothing about MS-DOS programs, so someone else will need to advise you.

----------------------------------------------------------

5. m-dash

m-dash

If you have the MS-DOS program running on a Windows computer, that's one hurdle accomplished; but, the next one to overcome is that as far as printing goes, a DOS program is the place where you select a printer, *not* from within Windows. During the time when DOS program were commonly used, each program contained a list of available printer drivers, and from within that program you chose the printer model/type you were using to print.

When you print, the DOS program formats and prepares the print job, and then passes it through to Windows when you are running a DOS program under Windows. So you would need to check the DOS program itself for the printer types available, and then hope that you can find a printer that emulates (or is very similar to) the model/type of printer you have chosen from within the DOS program.

Another issue is that most printers now use USB connections, but older DOS programs are designed to have you select a printer connection that is either an LPT or COM port (since USB was not in existence when most DOS programs were written.)

M-dash

6. centauricw

centauricw

You'll need a printer that does not offload the rending engine to Windows. This could be a problem with newer printers. Look for one that is fully compatible with Linux and check the specs for the supported print languages. Generally printers that support LaserJet III with work with really old DOS programs.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027704

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice