Windows 98, no display

simliciouss

I have a windows 98 PC. I plug it in, and its running but I cant get the display to show on a TV or regular monitor. is there anyway that I can transfer my information from my old computer to my new computer (2020) without a monitor?

PS. The monitor did work on other PCs but not the windows 98.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
A detailed description of your PC and your monitor would be helpful.

I'm assuming the cable connection between the PC and the monitor is the standard 15-pin VGA type?

Capture.JPG

simliciouss

You can take the 98 hard drive out and get a Usb adapter cable to connect it to the new PC and then copy files onto the new PC's hard drive.

If the 98 drive is an IDE type rather than Sata make sure the cable can work with IDE 3.5" and includes a Sata to IDE/Molex power cable.

Something like this :- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digiflex-S...+adapter&qid=1602868606&s=digital-text&sr=1-1
So I would have to remove the hard drive from the gateway computer, use the adapter and connect to the new computer?

simliciouss

A detailed description of your PC and your monitor would be helpful.

I'm assuming the cable connection between the PC and the monitor is the standard 15-pin VGA type?

View attachment 281777
Yes. those are the cables I have now. the computer is a gateway desktop computer with windows 98 installed on it. I do not have the monitor anymore, but id still liked to get some information off of there.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
It sounds like your Gateway (no model name or model number given) is about 20 years old.

When was the last time you used it and was able to access its hard drive?

-------------------------------------------------

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
So I would have to remove the hard drive from the gateway computer, use the adapter and connect to the new computer?
Yes.

Plus you have to power the 98 drive, possibly with another cable that could be supplied with the adapter, or the new PC PSU may already have the correct type of connector, it looks like the pic. below :-

Last edited:
I have a windows 98 PC. I plug it in, and its running but I cant get the display to show on a TV or regular monitor. is there anyway that I can transfer my information from my old computer to my new computer (2020) without a monitor?

PS. The monitor did work on other PCs but not the windows 98.
Find an old monitor. Maybe you will find it on Ebay

simliciouss

It sounds like your Gateway (no model name or model number given) is about 20 years old.

When was the last time you used it and was able to access its hard drive?

-------------------------------------------------
I have never taken it apart before. Last time I used it was around the time it was gifted to me, 2005-2006.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
14 - 15 years ago?

Hopefully, its hard drive is still functional and its data is still intact.

------------------------------------------------

simliciouss

14 - 15 years ago?

Hopefully, its hard drive is still functional and its data is still intact.

------------------------------------------------
Yeah, I got it initially in 2000 and played it up until around 2006. After that, it had just been sitting in the garage unused. Can a hard drive get damaged from just..sitting?

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Yeah, I got it initially in 2000 and played it up until around 2006. After that, it had just been sitting in the garage unused. Can a hard drive get damaged from just..sitting?
Just being unused shouldn't harm the drive but it could have had condensation on it if the garage is cold.
Hard to tell unless you try it with an adapter.
Does the PC show signs of getting into Windows 98, such as the hard drive light flashing or the start up 'tune' ?

simliciouss

Just being unused shouldn't harm the drive but it could have had condensation on it if the garage is cold.
Hard to tell unless you try it with an adapter.
Does the PC show signs of getting into Windows 98, such as the hard drive light flashing or the start up 'tune' ?
okay so I actually got the cords and everything and I’ve hooked everything up correctly. But the drive is not showing up on my laptop. Like when I plug the usb in, nothing pops up. Please help!

simliciouss

I literally hear the hard drive spinning like it’s on but nothing pops up on my laptop. The laptop is a new laptop that I got in may of this year

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Does the externally connected drive show up in the Bios or in Disk Management or in Device Manager ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts