1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 98 or XP

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by TurboSteve, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TurboSteve

TurboSteve Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a Compaq 5900Z computer that's about five years old now. It's been a great computer but my MP3 collection is beginning to tax the hard drive. That's not so much of a problem as i plan to get an external hard drive. The problem i'm having is the operating system isn't what it used to be.

I may have deleted some programs and downloaded some updates that have messed things up a bit. Downloading music has left me with a bunch of adware and popups that my Spybot can't seem to get rid of too. As i see it though, here are my main issues:

1. I get dialog boxes that pop up at every start up. One is for a logon password and the other is some issue with Windows Media Player.

2. I often receive videos that for one reason or another, i just can't open. As a side note, this happened(s) long before my dialog box started popping up.

3. I have problems transferring MS Word files between my home computer and my Mac at work. I can send a file to work and have no problem, but sending a file from work to home just doesn't work right no matter how i save it.

Should i upgrrade to XP? I thought about saving my files and reloading 98, but i don't think Compaq gave me the CDs to do it.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. norton850

norton850

It sounds like after 5 years it's time for clean install of the operating system. If you are going to get an external hard drive that would be a place to back up what you need and then wipe your boot drive clean and reinstall the operating system. Just curious is there a reason you are considering getting an external hard drive?

Your system will support WinXP home although you should definitely consider getting more RAM, if you have the stock 128MB. If you don't have the original install or restore CD, then your choices are trying to clean up things the best you can or purchase a retail Copy of 98 (get SE and try ebay) or a new copy of XP. XP is definitely better IMO although make sure XP drivers are available for all of your peripheral devices before upgrading.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    This is the software updates and support site for your Compaq Presario 5900Z. You should keep it saved in your browser favorites list for future reference.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Depending on the processor speed in your computer, it should be able to handle Windows XP. It only comes with 64 MB of RAM though, but is capable of using 384 MB of PC100 RAM(by installing a 128 MB module in each of its 3 slots), so you should go for the maximum amount.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I have a Compaq Presario 5900T with a Pentium III 733 MHz processor and 320 MB of RAM. It was an office computer and had been upgraded to Windows XP and had 192 MB of RAM when I got it. I formatted the hard drive and installed Windows 98SE in it. I also replaced its Nvidia Riva TNT M64 graphics card with an ATI Radeon 7000(64 MB of video memory) graphics card and added another 128 MB of RAM. It ran okay with Windows XP, but it runs much better with Windows 98SE.

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. TurboSteve

TurboSteve Thread Starter

My computer has the Athlon AMD processor and 128mb of RAM. I wanted to get an external hard drive because my 800+ mp3s and my racing videos have taken a whole lot of drive space up, so i was going to put them on the external.

So if i do go to XP, i need more RAM to run it? Is this difficult to install? I do have two quick restore CDs, but i'm not sure if they cover everything that was installed on the computer.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If the case to your 5900Z is like the case to my 5900T, it has a finger grip handle on the back. After you remove the 5 or so shiney screws holding it in place, you can pull the entire case out of its shell. There is plenty of room to work inside and install the RAM modules. I would definitely install 3 - 128 MB modules if you plan to upgrade to Windows XP. If you don't make the Windows upgrade, add more RAM anyway. The performance boost will be quite noticable. If you have doubts about installing the RAM yourself, take the computer to a computer store and have them install it for you. This will also guarantee that the correct RAM modules are installed.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324527

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice