1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 98 problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Rotuman, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rotuman

Rotuman Thread Starter

I have a pentium 2 processor with Windows 98 loaded.......but it's giving me trouble. It says load in safe mode and even in safe mode when trying to open any program, it says illegal operation and closes. I want to format the hard disk......problem is I only have a Windows 95 CD and a Win98 boot disc.

Can this be done. Formatting the hard disk using Win98 boot disk and loading Win95 with the CD?

2. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

First check to see if you have the .cab files on your HD. These are the compressed files that windows installs from. They should be found in \Windows\Options\Cabs.
    There should be a little over 300 files in that folder, but the xxx.cab files are the most important. There should be about 99 total, of which 55 start with win98_xx.cab.

3. Rotuman

Rotuman Thread Starter

The problem with this computer is I randomly get into safe mode if I'm lucky but most of the time it wouldn't........is there a way of finding out whether this files are on my HD in DOS mode?

4. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Yes, this can be done. You will be on Windows 95, but it can be done.

5. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Not being able to get into Windows is going to prevent you from burning a CD with all the .cab files necessary to re-install 98. And the .cab files are just over the size for a floppy.

Do you have any Windows 98 CD? Either a full install of an upgrade version?

From your post I gather that you are running 98 right now.

6. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

7. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

From the DOS prompt do the following:

cd windows (if you aren't already there)
    cd options
    cd cabs
    dir *.cab /p

That should give you a listing of the cab files if they are there. I included the /p switch to pause after each screen of display.

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Is it just me who is wondering how Windows 98 was loaded when all we have is a 95 install cd and a 98 boot disk??????????? :eek:

Ah, I see you questioned that above too NH.......awaiting an answer ;)

9. Rotuman

Rotuman Thread Starter

Soprry for the delay. In the pacific, it's hard to get on the internet.

Anyway, no I don't have any Windows98 CD what so ever except a boot floopy that I created from a computer running Win98.

I don't mind downgrading to Win95 as long as my computer works. So any suggestions on how to go about formatting using win98 boot floopy and loading win95 from the CD would do for now......but I'm trying to access cab files.

10. ~Candy~

I'm going to go out on a limb here and make one suggestion.

Instead of booting to safe mode, can you boot to a command prompt only.

Once there,

type

scanreg/restore
    and press enter

Does it give you any options or an error message?

11. Rotuman

Rotuman Thread Starter

AcaCandy

This computer came to me with a Windows95 CD but had Windows98 on it. I asked for the Windows 98 CD but the person said they didn't have it. So my last option would be to try and buy a whole new Windows98 CD but I'm trying to avoid that by trying fix this computer with all that I have at the moment.

12. ~Candy~

See my post above ;)

13. Rotuman

Rotuman Thread Starter

The only way I know how to boot to a comand prompt is if I use the boot floopy....and even then when I type scanreg/restore it says Bad command name.....when I try to find the cab files it says invalid directory.

14. Rotuman

Rotuman Thread Starter

I hate to say this but so far none of the suggestions seem to be working. Should I just format the hard disk with the win98 boot floppy and load the win95 using the CD.... if it doesn't work, any suggestions why would be of great help

15. Rotuman

Rotuman Thread Starter

Thank you very much people but I have managed to load windows 95 onto with no problems.......for the moment.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223268

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice