1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 98 problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shibou, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shibou

shibou Thread Starter

Hi, I had installed Grokster and my computer started having problems right after, such as I could not open up more than one window, and then it would not let me open up any windows and I would have to restart. I ended up uninstalling Grokster and did a Adware check and spyware check, and I tried to clean out any problems. When I had restarted my computer at one point it asked for me to put in my Windows 98 serial number as it could not be found. When I did that I still could not open up any windows so I started my computer again, at that point it comes up that Explorer cannot open when I click cancel on that nothing else opens, such as my tool bar, start bar or any icons. Have I lost everything on my computer? Thanks for any help!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The lesson here is don't use Grokster and similar programs.

What the exact error you recieve?

You may have to reinstall Windows overtop of the current installation to get your system working again.

3. shibou

shibou Thread Starter

Well I know have to do something stupid like that once, ok twice *L*
    It was coming up: Explorer cannot be opened (of course for the life of me I can't remember exactly what it said) but you can only close or ask for details. I hope that helps, I did such a good job explaining my problem, (not).

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  5. shibou

shibou Thread Starter

Great thank you! I will check this out and see what I can do from there, I appreciate your help!

6. shibou

shibou Thread Starter

Ok I checked out my computer again, and the error message states
    Explorer: This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. When I click on the details it says Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module Explorer.exe at 0167:00401f31. I also started in the safe mode and the same problem comes up and I am unable to get any farther than have my wallpaper come up. Any ideas? Thanks again!

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well, I did a search on Google and came up will several hits on 0167:00401f31 so you're not the only one. Some of hits are next to useless but look thru them as one may have a solution.

One quick thing to try is to boot to a Command Prompt and type SCANREG /RESTORE and restore an older version of the registry. Or you can reinstall Windows - if you install overtop it will not delete any data - but some programs may need to be reinstalled.

8. shibou

shibou Thread Starter

Hey thank you again for your help on this, I tried to re-install windows but with the error message I cannot do anything I put in the cd and nothing comes up. I will try your other suggestion about restoring an older registry and if that doesn't work I am buying a typewriter! *L* :p

9. shibou

shibou Thread Starter

My computer is back up and running after trying your last suggestion! YIPEE, thanks again for your help!!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275846

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice