1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 98 Re-install Dial-Up Networking?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Yellowdog, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Yellowdog

Yellowdog Thread Starter

I have been having this problem for the past week. . . If I have to disconnect my computer from the connection and get ready to re-connect, I get this error message and must re-boot my computer. The message reads:

Dial-Up Networking cannot start. Restart your computer, and then try again.
    If the problem persists, re-install Dial-Up Networking.

How do I re-install Dial-Up Networking? I have scanned for viruses, etc. but I don't seem to have a problem there and I've done all of the Microsoft updates etc.

I would appreciate any help in figuring out how to fix this problem as it is becoming very frustrating to have to re-boot at least a dozen times a day !

2. Katzy

Katzy

It's very simple. It might be easier if you have the original CD that your isp sent you, though.

3. Yellowdog

Yellowdog Thread Starter

I have it but never used it to begin with....I just went to the Dial Up Networking and used the "make new connection" icon, etc...

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I thought that first you needed to make sure you have the Dial-Up adapter installed in the Networking section.

If it is not there then:
    Add
    Adapter
    Microsoft (on left)
    Dial-Up Adapter (on the right)

5. garyk_52

garyk_52

Go to add remove programs
    click tab for windows setup
    click on Communications
    unclick dialup networking
    apply and ok it
    reboot
    go thru the same process again and click dialup networking
    you probably will need your win98 cd

cheers
    garyk_52

6. Yellowdog

Yellowdog Thread Starter

Maybe I didn't explain my problem correctly...
    If my computer is idle for too long, or if I have to disconnect to use the telephone, then when I try to dial up again, that is when I get the error message. In either case, I have to re-boot the computer and then it will dial up, but unless I do it that way I receive the error message. I do have a dial-up adapter installed. I do have my installation CD's. So...I guess from what everyone has said I just need to remove the application and re-install it?
    I appreciate everyone helping me.

7. Katzy

Katzy

It'd be the first thing I'd try!

8. Maritimesea

Maritimesea

Another thing you can try, is control alt delete>rnaap>end task and then try and redial. You can also just delete the Connection you have in the dial up connection folder and make a new one ensuring you have all the pertinent information first before you delete the old one, like "number to call", dns numbers,etc.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275002

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice