Windows 98 recovery

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

animalhouz

I have this old HP Pavilion (for the Kid) and I had a virus, I think, so I was just going to reformat and reinstall the Pavilion software pack With windows 98 that came with it the only changes to it are the Hard drive was upgraded and I added more ram. It was running fine before the someone Downloaded some bad files. anyway when I Ran the recovery disc and it Formated fine but after it formats it says this "Finished recovering files. Warning: Some Files were not found in the archive. Remove the cd and press OK to reboot your machine." When I reboot it just loads in DOS and says "Invalid system disk replace the disk, and then press any key" It tries to run the Floppy drive so I put in the Windows98 Start up disk and then it goes into the start up windows program but when I type in SETUP all it does is say "CDR101: Not ready reading drive E Abort, Retry, Fail" Does this have somthing to do with a Virus becouse I have reformated this comp more the 2 or 3 times and never had this problem before. The System is HP Pavilion,Windows 98 (not SE),AMD 350 cpu, 20gb HD, 256 ram,

Since most boot floppies create virtual disk (RAM Drive) out of memory and thus bump the CD-ROM up one drive letter, that is the assumption we will work on here.

Try the following:
Boot to the A:\> prompt
Then type in either dir E: (with a CD in the CD drive)

Or do the same thing in two steps

E:
dir

IF no joy there are two possibilities.
1. The CD drivers are not being loaded (or you may have changed or upgraded the CD and the wrong drivers are being loaded)
2. The CD itself may be bad.

Here are several places where you can download a file for creating a boot disk.

Boot Disks All OS?s
http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

http://www.lurkhere.com/boot600.html

In each case the file that you download is a compressed file that will be used to CREATE a boot disk. DO NOT copy it directly to the floppy. Instead, download the file and save it. Then place a clean floppy in the floppy drive and double click on the file you just downloaded. This will create your new boot disk.

Once you have the new boot disk take it to the problem PC and use it to start-up. You should receive a prompt asking you to start with or without CD support. Pick WITH CD support and boot up. Then do the above test again.

Good luck.

animalhouz

I tried to do as you were saying there. But I tried it again and same thing. I did find my old windows 98 SE from my other comp that has XP now and it loaded just fine. CD must have got damaged some how. O well I will just have to find all the drivers for my hardware thanks for the help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online