1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 98 reinstall on Gateway 650

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by welshowen, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. welshowen

welshowen Thread Starter

I've got major problems trying to reinstall Windows 98 on a Gateway 650. When you boot the machine, it can't find the hard drive, and asks for a boot diskette.
    So, I boot off a Win 98 boot diskette, which then gives a message saying that the hard disk could not be recognised as a FAT drive. Then the boot process reports that it could not find a CD Drive. Therefore, all I'm left with is the floppy. I've tried running FDISK, but it reports that no fixed disks are present.
    I've put a new hard drive and cable to the motherboard, and get the same message from FDISK.
    So, to sum up, I can only boot of Win 98 boot diskette, this doesn't load CD drivers, so I can't use that, and I can't see the hard drive at all.
    I have changed the boot sequence in the bios to use the CD drive first, but it just ignores it.
    I suspect the motherboard may have packed in. Anyone have any other idea's?

Thanks.

2. greengeek

greengeek

Try another bootdisk.

3. welshowen

welshowen Thread Starter

I've tried four different boot disks.

4. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

A couple of thoughts:

Check your BIOS to see that the HD is set to AUTO (detect)

Go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and download the Windows 98 OEM bootdisk. Save the file and remember the location it was saved to.

Insert a clean floppy diskette in your floppy drive and then double click on the bootdisk you just downloaded. This will CREATE a Bootdisk on the floppy. DO NOT just copy the file to a floppy. This is a common misunderstanding and will not let you boot from it.

Power down the PC you want to format.
    Insert the Bootdisk and power up.
    You should boot into DOS
    You will be asked if you want to boot with or without CD ROM support. The first time choose without.
    You should now be at an A:\> prompt. Type in the following:

format C: /s Confirm if it asks you.
    Depending on the size of the Hard Drive, formatting could take some time. At the end of the format it will transfer the 'system files' from the floppy to the newly formatted HD. (That was what the /s switch did...copy the system files)

To test, remove the floppy, power down and then power back up.
    You should boot up to a DOS C:\> prompt.

Once again power down, insert the bootdisk in the drive and power back up.
    This time when it asks with or without CD ROM support, choose WITH.

Insert your Windows 98 SE Install CD in the CD ROM and it should autostart and take you into the installation program.

If any problems, come back and ask any questions you need.

Good Luck

5. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

The Key to the above is that the boot disk must be CREATED not just COPIED to the floppy. This is a very common misunderstanding.

6. welshowen

welshowen Thread Starter

Sorry NiteHawk, I've treid all that. I've created four different bootdisks from bootdisk.com, none of them recognise the CD drive, and none of them enable me to see c:, or format it.

7. welshowen

welshowen Thread Starter

I can confirm that I've definantly CREATED the boot disks, not copied the .exe files to the floppy.

8. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

OK, so much for the create vs. copy problem. I just wanted to make sure.

When you use the bootdisk, can you get to the DOS prompt?

Also, it should give you the option to boot either with or without CD support. Does it?

Remember that when you boot with CD support your CD gets bumped up one drive letter. This is because the bootdisk creates a temporary RAM drive. So if your CD was drive D: it will become drive E:

9. welshowen

welshowen Thread Starter

It does give the option of booting with or without CD support. I choose 'with', but at the end of the boot process, it states 'No suitable CD drive found' or something similar.

10. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

OK, you’ve been over your physical connections and even used a different HD and gotten the same problem. On boot up, let’s go into the BIOS and make sure the BIOS is recognizing the HD. Is it set to AUTO detect?

11. welshowen

welshowen Thread Starter

Can't check that now, as I'm not at the machine. Will check later and post back. Thanks a lot.

12. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

While you are in the BIOS make sure that it is retaining the correct time and date. It could be as simple as a battery for the BIOS if this is an older unit.

13. welshowen

welshowen Thread Starter

OK, will do.

14. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

OK, the other thing I might suggest is disconnecting the ribbon cable from the CD and see if it will boot up and recognize the HD

15. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

With the 6 hour time difference between us, I assume that you are at work and you'll have to wait until you get home to work on the PC

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165623

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice