1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 98 reoragizes my icons

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by gameman, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Hello all,
    I have something that has been bugging me every since I have been running windows 98. Bascailly twice a year the desktop icons are all reorganized. This happens when the time change is set to occur, and while I have disabled this, it still insists on reorgainzing all the icons even though the time itself does not change. As I said this has done it ever since I have used win98. It is not a serious issue, but it bugs me as I have a LOT of icons on my desktop and it takes me awhile to get everything back the way I want it.

I realize I could backup the regestry, but I hate to back up then restore the regestry just for this anoyance that happens twice a year. Any thoughts/ideas is apprecated.

-Gameman

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Right-click an empty space on the desktop, then click "Arrange Icons By - ". Make sure that "Auto-Arrange" is not checked. Your icons should then stay where you put them. If you've already done this and it's only happening a couple times a year, I wouldn't let it bother you so much.

A lot of icons on the desktop may look pretty to you, but they're not needed. You can access most of those programs via the Start menu. They also use additional resources and lengthen startup time.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips (Also a Windows XP user)

3. beekeeper

beekeeper

This sometimes happens as well when you change your screen resolution such as when you play a game or watch a full-screen movie. There's a handy little tool you can use - Desktop Icon save & Restore. When its installed, right click on your desktop and you will see two new options - 'save desktop" and "restore desktop" - Save your desired icon layout - and then when they get scrambled - just click restore desktop - and they go back. You will need to have Windows installer on your pc to install it - you may already have - if you don't, it will say so when you try to install the tool - there is a link to D/L the Windows installer if required.

To D/L the tool, click on the "Back to Midi tools cat" at the bottom, then the Desktop Exe:

http://www.midiox.com/html/desktop.htm

4. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Yes the auto arange is not checked. As for a lot of icons, I use them all and it is much faster than looking through my start menu. And yes I know it increses start up time by a few seconds, but that does not bother me. And yes it does reorangize them like clockwork...twice a year when ever the time changes (and as I said I disabled this, and yet it still reoranizes them even though the time itself does not change).

As for screen res, I have never had it happen that way. Just twice a year the day after the time changes I boot up and everything is reorganized. I will try that program thanks, sounds like it might be just what I have been looking for (thanks beekeeper).

And like I said, it is something that I could deal with and have been for several years, it just bugs me lol. Usually i remember the day after everything is scrambled, but this year I rememberd beforehand and thought I would try to do something about it (if possible heh).

Thanks to you both for responding.

-Gameman

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

Gameman
    You problem caught my eye so I did some research and found this rather rare and no real explanation for.
    Some suggested Video adapter problems..... some said Icon Cache but there was only one article that specifically mentioned the time change occurrence.

Since there should be no direct connection between time changes and Icon placement this is all I can suggest.......

Lower your Video acceleration down a notch or two and see if that fixes the problem and you can also try increasing the shelliconcache file size per Instructions Here.

and Video acceleration is accessed by going to Start\settings\system\performance\graphics.

Let us know if either help you.

Dave

6. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Hello Dave,
    Well I will give it a try. Everything else is working properly on this particular system. Thanks for looking into it, I know that I have looked into this somewhat before but never found a solution with this problem.

I never thought about video acceleration, although I doubt it has anything to do with that. But I will try both, and in a week I should know if this fixes the problem. However I will back up the icon placement regardless becuase I suspect it will do the same thing it has been for years.

I will let you all know what happens.

-Gameman

7. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Well neither settings made any difference (iconshellcache was increased and the video accelleration was moved down to no avail). But that save/restore desktop proved to be very handy. Thanks again beekeeper for the heads up on that great tool.

-Gameman

8. brindle

brindle

FYI "I realize I could backup the registry" The registry is automatically backed up at each boot-up.

9. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Yes true, but I prefer to make seperate backups that won't be automatically written over should a sudden crash or reboot happen and were created when a known good config was in use.

Also as a side note I am starting to wonder if a full regestry backup would be effective in restoring the icons in this case. The reason being is that if I switch the date to say yesterday, everything is shuffled around. Then if I change the positions of the icons to back to what they were, then change the date back to today....another shuffling occurs. And i have a feeling that if I were to use a full regestry backup from the previous day the same shuffling would occur on reboot as it seems to do it when the time change normally would occur (again even though I have that disabled). I have not tested this theory as I do have a method of icon restore now and I always hate to restore the entire regestry unless I really need to (when it is working now....why mess with it lol).

-Gameman

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172951

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice