1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 98 safe mode

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by swifty143, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. swifty143

swifty143 Thread Starter

When I boot up, 4 out of 5 times windows 98 will start then it gets hung-up at the dmi-pooling screen for a minute and then reboots into safe mode. This happens even though I shut it down properly.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You may need to look into the hardware configuration to fix that. For example remove any peripherals except the hard drive and video card itself and see if it boots normally.

Also in the BIOS setup you should find options to reload setup defaults and reset Extended System Configuration Data. Both should be tried.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/res/pnpESCD-c.html

If the cmos battery is older than 3 years, it should be replaced as well.

3. lastone

lastone

I have the same thing going on.
    Took it in to a shop, and was told that it was a software issue.
    They claim to have run a thorough test, ruling out any HW issues.
    They suggested that when I reload any SW, that I do it one by one...waiting for awhile between each load. In an effort to catch the culprit.
    Funny, I have the same utilities as I have forever. Maybe newer versions (upgrades) caused it.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

There *was* an MS article addressing some sort of "DMI" software issue at one time. In my 5 or 6 years hanging around tech forums I have never once saw it resolved through software. In any case it looks like they've taken it out of their data base and replaced it with this one:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287553&Product=winme

Swifty is fortunate, usually people with the error above cannot even boot in Safe Mode, so it looks like his problem may be different.

In any case, it occurs at the BIOS detection and processing level, far before Windows ever gets to loading startup applications.

But hardware drivers could be an issue.

The only fix for the true dmi hang was either to remove all hardware and reset the ESCD and BIOS setups, which worked half the time, or in some cases replace the motherboard itself or possibly flash the BIOS.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217754

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice