windows 98 scan disc and defrag problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kanudawg

I cannot get the maintenance wizard to run scandisk or defrag. Scandisc goes anywhere from 3 to 10 blocks on the scale and defrag does not go past 1% without restarting. Can anyone help? What could the root cause of this be?

Have you tried running both utilities in Safe Mode? With Scandisk you can also run that program in DOS. In my experience it appears to do a more thorough job of picking up errors.

Go to the Start button and Restart in DOS mode. At the C:\Windows prompt type:

cd command [press enter]
scandisk [press enter]

For Windows 98 you might want to try Millennium's defragmenter instead. It works a lot quicker than 98's and is more stable. After downloading it go to the Windows folder and rename the current defrag to defrag.old, then rename Millennium's to defrag and place it in the Windows folder.

ME Defragmenter:
http://9337387.home.icq.com/main9.html

Scroll down to the bottom for the defragmenter link.

kanudawg

dr20 said:
Have you tried running both utilities in Safe Mode? With Scandisk you can also run that program in DOS. In my experience it appears to do a more thorough job of picking up errors.

Go to the Start button and Restart in DOS mode. At the C:\Windows prompt type:

cd command [press enter]
scandisk [press enter]

For Windows 98 you might want to try Millennium's defragmenter instead. It works a lot quicker than 98's and is more stable. After downloading it go to the Windows folder and rename the current defrag to defrag.old, then rename Millennium's to defrag and place it in the Windows folder.

ME Defragmenter:
http://9337387.home.icq.com/main9.html

Scroll down to the bottom for the defragmenter link.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online