1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 98 scan disc and defrag problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by kanudawg, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kanudawg

kanudawg Thread Starter

I cannot get the maintenance wizard to run scandisk or defrag. Scandisc goes anywhere from 3 to 10 blocks on the scale and defrag does not go past 1% without restarting. Can anyone help? What could the root cause of this be?

2. dr20

dr20

Have you tried running both utilities in Safe Mode? With Scandisk you can also run that program in DOS. In my experience it appears to do a more thorough job of picking up errors.

Go to the Start button and Restart in DOS mode. At the C:\Windows prompt type:

cd command [press enter]
    scandisk [press enter]

For Windows 98 you might want to try Millennium's defragmenter instead. It works a lot quicker than 98's and is more stable. After downloading it go to the Windows folder and rename the current defrag to defrag.old, then rename Millennium's to defrag and place it in the Windows folder.

ME Defragmenter:
    http://9337387.home.icq.com/main9.html

Scroll down to the bottom for the defragmenter link.

3. kanudawg

kanudawg Thread Starter

4. kanudawg

kanudawg Thread Starter

Thanks it worked for me.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322400

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice