Solved Windows 98 SE can't run 256 colors

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

helplessinohio

Hi, I need some help. I installed Windows 98 SE on my son's computer that he only plays older games on, because the other hard drive went bad. I had no problems with the install, but when he tried to play a game, it said that the game required 256 colors. The settings in display only let you choose either 2 colors or 16 colors. The graphics card adapter manufacture, says Standard display types, Chip Type MONO, DAC Type INTERNAL, Software Version 4.0, Current files vga.drv,vdd. I am very dumb when it comes to computers, so if you could dumb your answers down, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm just lost and don't know what to do. Thank you in advance for any help.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Hi, and welcome to TSG.

It sounds like maybe your computer does not have enough video memory to support the desired number of colors for the current screen resolution. Is it possible to lower the display resolution and still have it useable for normal Windows operation and for your son's games?

Beyond that suggestion, we would need more information about your computer. We offer an easy way for you to get that information. Here is a link to the TSG System Info utility. You just download and run it. It does not need to be installed. Copy the results and paste the output in a reply in this thread. This will tell us what motherboard you are using and what version of Windows is running, as well as a few other software and hardware detail.

https://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

Also, please let us know the brand and full model number of the display monitor.

EDIT: How old is the computer? A computer released after Windows 98SE was no longer offered may have video and other hardware that may not have Windows 98 compatible drivers available.

Last edited:

helplessinohio

Hi, and welcome to TSG.

It sounds like maybe your computer does not have enough video memory to support the desired number of colors for the current screen resolution. Is it possible to lower the display resolution and still have it useable for normal Windows operation and for your son's games?

Beyond that suggestion, we would need more information about your computer. We offer an easy way for you to get that information. Here is a link to the TSG System Info utility. You just download and run it. It does not need to be installed. Copy the results and paste the output in a reply in this thread. This will tell us what motherboard you are using and what version of Windows is running, as well as a few other software and hardware detail.

https://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

Also, please let us know the brand and full model number of the display monitor.

EDIT: How old is the computer? A computer released after Windows 98SE was no longer offered may have video and other hardware that may not have Windows 98 compatible drivers available.
Thank you for your response. I got it fixed. I found a disk that had the drivers I needed. Thanks again for replying.

cwwozniak

Chuck
You're welcome. Glad to hear you found the correct drivers.

Glad it is working
Thats why I wanted to know about the old hdd you could pull the drivers of that

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online