windows 98 se hung at the setup in program and startup section

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dumbdumb

I have this old pc that motherboard is dead so I bought the machspeed V2DP. I just moved the hard drive and it works fine and I have sound. I decided to install another small old hard drive so I reformat both and installed 98 se fresh and other programs that I used. Now I have no sound at all. I installed the driver from the disk that comes with the mother board but it didn't work. I took a short cut and bought a pci sound card with 4 channel and it didn't work either. I tried tech support at machspeed since I can't use the download file that he sent, it comes with no instruction and I am too dumb. The driver file that I download when I opened and unzip, I still can't run the setup, it gave me error saying that it is a different language, something. Now I tried to fix the sound so I found another ASus pl297 I think so I put in the 2hardrives but when I boot up, I saw all the drives,2hd,2cd drives and 1 floopy but when I get into windows, it doesn't show the cd drives and it asked to reinstall of pulg and play bios.vdx file which is in the cd windows 98 but I can't read the cd drive. I finall y decided to reinstall the windows98 se but I didn't reformat since I still need all the datas I have but I tried 3 times, by the time it got into the set up that create the control panel and then it stucked at PRogram and startup. I moved the hard drive back to the new mother board and reinstall and it got hung at the same place again. Just want the sound to work, now everything was worse than before. I can't get to safemode since the installation is not completed but the very first time, I did archive the windows before start installing but the second and third, it didn't ask.. Help please, I am desperate.

thanks, i hope i make it clear.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi and welcome. You post is a bit confusing. Is there anyway we can start fresh with one of the hard drives?

dumbdumb

I was thinking about only hook up one hard drive, the one with the windows program. Will I lose all the settings for all the program I already installed?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Not sure which programs you are referring to. But, if the drive has booted into Windows on this same pc, you should be fine.

dumbdumb

I use one drive and copy windows back to the old window directory.
don't know how I did it but got it up and running and was able to uninstall and put it back to the beginning stage which is working.

Then just my luck, try to install all drivers for the mother board from the mother board disk.

IT said via audio chipset is not found and I have no sound still and it rebooted itself.

then I am back where I started, it is not booting up again and ask me to redo the installation. I don't want to lose all my program setting.

Help, why me!!

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Copying windows back and forth between hard drives is not the best way to install Windows. Start clean with one drive or the other and format it, then do a clean installation of Windows.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online