Windows 98 SE Only Boots in Safe Mode

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Roger Courts

Hola, Shalom, Howdy Y'All. When I try to boot the system, Windows 98 Screen comes up, followed by a black screen with this message: "While initializing device IOS Error: real mode system memory allocation failed." Signed onto Gateway's chat system and was referred to Microsoft help page which instructed me to go to Autoexec.bat and Config.sys and type REM before any reference to SmartDrive.exe. But, Smartdrive.exe does not appear in either. If I turn the computer's power off, I can reboot to Safe Mode. If I click Shut Down and Restart, I end up on the black screen with error message as detailed above. Any advice greatly appreciated. Just came back from Amsterdam and downloaded great pictures from my Nikon 995 to the computer and STUPIDLY erased the Compact Flash Card. I can see the pictures (in Safe Mode) on the computer, but, of course, I cannot print or send or anything else, because everything (external) is disabled in Safe Mode. Thanks for any consideration.

Did you try the troubleshooting steps list here by microsoft

Windows 98 Starts in Safe Mode
If Windows 98 starts in Safe mode, step through the startup process to see if any devices do not load properly:
Click Start, click Run, type msconfig in the Open box, and then click OK.

Click Selective Startup.

Try different boot options. The following table lists several startup options. The options are labeled Boot A, Boot B, Boot C. To use a boot option, click the appropriate check boxes to select or clear them. Follow the instructions below the table to determine the cause of your problem.

Boot A Boot B Boot C
------------------------------------------------------------
Process Config.sys file Yes No Yes
Process Autoexec.bat file Yes No Yes
Process Winstart.bat (if available) Yes Yes No
Process System.ini file No Yes Yes
Process Win.ini file No Yes Yes
Load Startup Group items Yes Yes No

NOTE: The Msconfig tool cannot disable a file that has the read-only attribute, although it behaves as though it can. To determine if the Msconfig tool has replaced the file you are attempting to disable with a copy of the file, text similar to the following text should appear at the beginning of the file:

rem
rem *** DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE! ***
rem
rem This file was created by the System Configuration Utility as
rem a placeholder for your AUTOEXEC.BAT file. Your actual
rem AUTOEXEC.BAT file has been saved under the name AUTOEXEC.TSH.
rem

NOTE: If Windows 98 does not start normally under any of the following scenarios, see the "Troubleshooting Protected-Mode Driver Problems" section later in this article.

First, try the Boot A option. If Windows 98 does not start normally under these conditions, try the Boot B option. If Windows 98 does start normally using the Boot A option, there is a problem in the System.ini or Win.ini file. To find which line in the System.ini or Win.ini file is causing the problem:

Click Start, click Run, type msconfig in the Open box type, and then click OK.

Click the Win.ini tab.

Double-click the Windows folder.

Click to clear the load= and run= check boxes.

Click OK.

When you are prompted to restart your computer, click Yes.

If Windows 98 starts normally using the Boot B option, there is a problem with a driver or terminate-and-stay-resident (TSR) program being loaded from the Config.sys or Autoexec.bat file. See the "Troubleshooting TSR Problems" section later in this article.

If Windows 98 does not start normally with the Boot A or Boot B options, try the Boot C option. If Windows 98 starts normally using the Boot C option, there is a problem with a program that is run during startup. See the "Troubleshooting StartUp Folder Problems" section later in this article.

If you are still unable to start Windows 98 normally, use the System File Checker tool to check for damaged or replaced system files. To start System File Checker, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, click System Information, and then click System File Checker on the Tools menu. For information about how to use System File Checker to extract a file, please see the "System File Checker Tool" section of the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Q129605 How to Extract Original Compressed Windows Files
For additional information about System File Checker, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q185836 Description of the System File Checker Tool (Sfc.exe)
If you are still unable to start Windows 98 normally, see the "Troubleshooting Protected-Mode Driver Problems" section later in this article.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q188/8/67.ASP

How much memory is installed in that system? And had you used msconfig>advanced to "limit" the amount of memory available to Windows?

Run msconfig from safe mode, click on "Advanced"; Is there a check in the box for "limit memory to"? Take it out if there is. How much ram is shown there?

See this link, it says for WinME, but I see no reason why the message shouldn't apply to 98 as well:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q272/9/60.asp

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online