Windows 98 se startup problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gdaw9d6

When I start up my computer, sometimes it freezes up on me. When that happens, it usually takes me a couple of tries of manually powering it off and on again to get it to work. And sometimes when it does work, an error message pops up. Upon closing of the message, the background becomes white with a message on how to activate the desktop. I have no idea why this is happening. I would love to fix the problem. Please help me someone. I am a rookie at computer hardware. I know a couple of basics but I love computers. I would really like to know what is wrong and prevent it from ever happening again. Thank you.

Mario

Click on the "details" tab of the error message the next time you get it and let us know the modules and the addreses. (Just the first part).

In the mean time, you can do a couple of things:

>> disable "active desktop" by right clicking on your desktop and removing the check for Active Desktop> view as web page.

This is a buggy feature of Windows that is not required.

>> read the Startup Troubleshooter to familiarize yourself with troubleshooting techniques, and try the steps under "Troubleshooting Startup Folder Problems"

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q188/8/67.asp

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online