windows 98 sec edit .. won't load up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tex Vaughn

i have windows 98 second edition. i re-booted this morning and my computer won't load up all the way... i get to the desktop picture with the box to type in the password. .. i do that and that is as far as i can get, no icons or programs load ... doing Ctrl - Alt - Delete ... the box comes up empty. Trying to boot up from disk ... can't do it because a msg come up to exit setup .. as some part of my set up in compressed ... any body have any idea what i should do ... i do not have a backup floppy, my own stupid fault ... please help.

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
Tex:

As soon as you turn on your computer, tap the F8 key about once every second until the black DOS screen appears. Select "Command Prompt Only", type in:

SCANREG /RESTORE

just as you see it and with the space before the slash, then press Enter. When the list of registry backups appear, select the one with the previous date that you knew everything was working okay, then press Enter.

If all goes well, the registry will restore to the copy you selected and Windows will load normally.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

Tex Vaughn

tried this and got bad command or file name prompt came up A:\> i typed SCANREG /RESTORE

From the a:> prompt type c: then when the command line changes to c:> type scanreg /restore

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts