1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 98 second edition short freezes

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by groupsource, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. groupsource

groupsource Thread Starter

Hello

I could sure use some help. I am running Windows 98Second
    and when I am clicking or typing it is running fine then freezes for just about 15 to 20 seconds then goes to where I have already clicked or finishes typing what I have already typed in. Do you know what could be causing these hesitations?

I have plenty on memory and hard drive space

Thanks

2. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:) Please go HERE and download then run HijackThis!. Save the log somewhere then come back here and paste the log in a reply so we can have a look. If you wish, you can go ahead and put a checkmark next to the 019 entry at the bottom of the list then let HijackThis repair that entry. That should take care of the "lag" problem. Do not fix anything else until someone here takes alook at the log for you.

Thanks,

Kilowatt

3. groupsource

groupsource Thread Starter

Thank you! The following is what it came up with using the link you sent

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.2

Scan saved at 3:13:32 PM, on 9/24/03

Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE

C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYMANTEC\PCANYWHERE\AWHOST32.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE

C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG6\AVGSERV9.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPBPRO.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPBOID.EXE

C:\PROGRAM FILES\EXECUTIVE SOFTWARE\DISKEEPER\DKSERVICE.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RPCSS.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk

C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\ptsnoop.exe

C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG6\AVGCC32.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPNRA.EXE

C:\PROGRAM FILES\WEBSHOTS\WEBSHOTSTRAY.EXE

C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINZIP\WZQKPICK.EXE

C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE

C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINZIP\WINZIP32.EXE

C:\UNZIPPED\HIJACKTHIS[1]\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.webshots.com/r/internal/start/client/RAND

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =

O2 - BHO: MSN smart tags - {9DD4258A-7138-49C4-8D34-587879A5C7A4} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSN\SMARTTAG\MSNBHO.DLL

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {4A2AACF3-ADF6-11D5-98A9-00E018981B9E} - C:\Program Files\NewDotNet\newdotnet3_88.dll

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\windows\googletoolbar.dll

O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\windows\googletoolbar.dll

O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CriticalUpdate] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CountrySelection] pctptt.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PTSNOOP] ptsnoop.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /STARTUP

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Network Registry Agent] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\hpnra.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [awhost32] C:\Program Files\Symantec\pcAnywhere\\Awhost32.exe /A

O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Avgserv9.exe] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6\Avgserv9.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [HP Port Resolver] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\hpbpro.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [HP Status Server] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\hpboid.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [DkService] C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\DkService.exe

O4 - Startup: Webshots.lnk = C:\Program Files\Webshots\WebshotsTray.exe

O4 - Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE

O4 - Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe

O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR.DLL/cmsearch.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Cac&hed Snapshot of Page - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR.DLL/cmcache.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Si&milar Pages - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR.DLL/cmsimilar.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward &Links - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR.DLL/cmbacklinks.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR.DLL/cmtrans.html

O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)

O10 - Hijacked Internet access by New.Net

O15 - Trusted Zone: http://*.wspan.com

O15 - Trusted Zone: http://*.worldspan.com

O16 - DPF: {69FD62B1-0216-4C31-8D55-840ED86B7C8F} -

O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://active.macromedia.com/flash2/cabs/swflash.cab

O16 - DPF: {166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000} (Shockwave ActiveX Control) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/director/sw.cab

O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/ansi/iuctl.CAB?37799.4968981482

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\VxD\MSTCP: NameServer = 207.191.50.10,207.191.1.10

4. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Hi groupsource and welcome to TSG.
    It will take about 25 minutes to go thru your log so hang in there.
    In the mean time you can go to Control Panel > add/remove programs and remove New.Net.

5. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

In Hijack This, check ALL of the following items. Double check so as to be sure not to miss a single one.
    Next, close all browser Windows, and have HT fix all checked.

O2 - BHO: MSN smart tags - {9DD4258A-7138-49C4-8D34-587879A5C7A4} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSN\SMARTTAG\MSNBHO.DLL
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {4A2AACF3-ADF6-11D5-98A9-00E018981B9E} - C:\Program Files\NewDotNet\newdotnet3_88.dll

O15 - Trusted Zone: http://*.wspan.com
    O15 - Trusted Zone: http://*.worldspan.com

O16 - DPF: {69FD62B1-0216-4C31-8D55-840ED86B7C8F} -

I'll make these two items "dealer's choice"

I personally prefer NOT to have my PC call home to Mother Microsoft and download things in the background that I'm not aware of. I would run this manually once a week.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CriticalUpdate] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup

By starting pcAnywhere host connection every time you start your PC, it means that someone/anyone can get into your PC and do just about anything they want just as if they were sitting at the keyboard. IF you need to access your PC remotely, set up Awhost32.exe as an icon and start it on an as needed basis.

O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [awhost32] C:\Program Files\Symantec\pcAnywhere\\Awhost32.exe /A

Next reboot into Safe Mode and remove the following files and folders that are bolded

C:\PROGRA~1\MSN\SMARTTAG\MSNBHO.DLL
    C:\Program Files\NewDotNet\newdotnet3_88.dll

See here http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001052409420406 for how to start in safe mode if you don't know how.

Reboot into normal mode

Now download Spybot - Search & Destroy (if you haven't got the program installed already)

After installing, first press Online, and search for, put a check mark at, and install all updates.

Next, close all Internet Explorer windows, hit 'Check for Problems', and have SpyBot remove/fix all it finds that are in RED

Reboot

Last, run HJT again and post your log again to see if anything was missed.

Thanks

6. marquee

marquee

Hello Nitehawk, I printed your instructions to the "HiJackThis" site and sat down to do it tonight. Whoa! You guys are way too savvy in this computer stuff for me. I'm a rank beginner. A total newbie. This stuff is way too complicated for me to do. I don't know from log files, notepads, cut and pastes, etc. Even following the steps word for word I'd get totally lost in no time flat. Trust me, I suck at this stuff. I know you mean well, and I appreciate your efforts, but I'd be in over my head real fast, and end up with a worse problem than I have now. I would need a savvy person to sit at my computer and do this for me. Well, thanks again and wish me luck! Marquee

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167124

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice