Windows 98 shutdown

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dormouse

Hi,
I followed the advice on a problem with windows 98 shutdown but I did not resove it completely. Basically the machine still hangs at the light blue "Windows is shutting down" screen. After following through on everything (incl the MS download) I found that most of the time hitting a key (usually a onehanded Shift X) would cause the PC to continue and shut down completely as planned. In all other respects the computer seemed OK and I felt I could live with that.
The PC is sitting behind a 4port ADSL router and I am using TCP/IP for the internet and SPX for the file sharing. There is no login server. It is of course possible that there is one of those interactive dialog boxes behind the blue shutdown screen. Recently it has added to its repertoire by staging an unplanned reboot when the Shift X combo is pressed. I don't know whether it is relevant but I did notice a recent change when I ran dxdiag - the HD and CDrom entries seem to have vanished from dxdiag.txt.
TIA

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts