1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 98 shutsdown

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by cabellard, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cabellard

cabellard Thread Starter

My computer will shut down when sitting idle or in the middle of surfing the net. The message shown (in DOS I am assuming) is "operating system not found"
    This might have started happening after loading on spy software which I have removed from my system, or this might just be a coincidence. Anyone have any ideas?

2. mobo

mobo

Have you tried system restore..?

3. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Go to http://tomcoyote.org/hjt/ and download HiJackThis. Use Winzip to unzip it, then install and run it. To run, click the “Scan” button. When it's done the "Scan" button changes to "Save Log". Save the log file it creates (it should open in Notepad at that point). Copy and paste the results in your next post. Most of what it finds is harmless, so do not do anything yet. Someone will be glad to help you sort out any of the baddies that may be in there.

IF you get an error saying msvbvm60.dll is missing,
    Download the and run MS visual basic 6.0 runtime files

4. cabellard

cabellard Thread Starter

Dear Nitehawk

I will do as you say.........it may take me a couple of days to get back to this posting. Thanks

A couple of things, I do have mcafee virus protection and I did run a scan and it found nothing.
    Also, i received another message as i was waiting for your reply........""./iosubsys subdirectory is corrupt or memory is low""
    (I am pretty sure the memory is okay)

Thanks again

5. brindle

brindle

Just a tid-bit here but I often check my virus scan by running an online scan at Housecall .
    Neither has ever found a virus but like an accountant sometimes it's good to dbl. check.

6. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

If we can rule out any kind of virus, trohan, worm, or malware, my next guess would be heat. Check to see that all your fans are running. Assuming this is a tower and not a laptop, open it up and check the fans. Also check to see how dusty and dirty it is. A can of compressed air can do wonders.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173224

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice