1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 98 slow to boot

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by debodun, Apr 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. debodun

debodun Thread Starter

My system has been running fairly flawlessly for a while, but for the last week or two, I've noticed that it seems to be taking longer to boot. Before, when the START WINDOWS sound played, the desktop icons would all appear quickly at once. Now the load one at a time much more slowly and the browser icons are the last to load. Sometimes the yellow speaker icon doesn't appear in the SYSTRAY and the sound doesn't work, sometimes the icon is there and the sound doesn't work, sometimes the sound does work on boot-up. If the sound isn't working, a re-boot usually fixes it. I check the Device Manager and it says the sound devices are working properly. My system is running Windows98se as an OS with an 800 MHz Pentium III processor and 256 MB RAM. According to the MSCONFIG STARTUP, these items are checked: ScanRegistry, SystemTray, QOELOADER, VetAlert, CaAvTray, CAVRID, ZoneLabsClient, QuickTimeTask, StillImageMonitor, KodakCCS, CAISafe, TrueVector. The System Perfomance shows 70% when I have a browser running. I have Computer Associates EZ Armor which combines a firewall and antivirus with automatic updates. I also run AdAware SE and SpyBot regularly and have done several disk defrags and manual system virus scan. Even these tasks seem to take longer than they used to. The only things picked up are a few "negligible" objects. I use mainly Firefox for a browser with IE 6.0 as a backup.

I just ran a Hijack This scan. Here is the log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 7:02:47 AM, on 4/19/08
    Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\CA\ETRUST EZ ARMOR\ETRUST EZ ANTIVIRUS\ISAFE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\CA\ETRUST EZ ARMOR\ETRUST ANTI-SPAM\QSP-2.1.215.5\QOELOADER.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\CA\ETRUST EZ ARMOR\ETRUST EZ ANTIVIRUS\VETMSG.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\CA\ETRUST EZ ARMOR\ETRUST EZ ANTIVIRUS\CAVTRAY.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\CA\ETRUST EZ ARMOR\ETRUST EZ ANTIVIRUS\CAVRID.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\CA\ETRUST EZ ARMOR\ETRUST EZ FIREWALL\CA.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MOZILLA FIREFOX\FIREFOX.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
    C:\D D\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 6.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.DLL
    O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QOELOADER] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\CA\ETRUST EZ ARMOR\ETRUST ANTI-SPAM\QSP-2.1.215.5\QOELoader.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VetAlert] C:\PROGRA~1\CA\ETRUST~1\ETRUST~4\VETMSG.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CaAvTray] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVTray.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CAVRID] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVRID.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Firewall\ca.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KodakCCS] C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\KodakCCS.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [CAISafe] C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\ISafe.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TrueVector] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
    O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\Program Files\\Netscape\\Netscape Browser\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll
    O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/common/bin/cabsa.cab
    O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/vc/bin9x/AvSniff.cab

Any advice on how to perk up my system?

2. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

Can't see anything particularly wrong and would only UNtick QuickTimeTask.

A cleanup may help.

Download CCleaner:

www.ccleaner.com

I would suggest the slim version (English only, no toolbar), that you can download here:

http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds.aspx

Install and launch.

By default it will open the Cleaner section.

Tick all items under the Windows and Applications tabs.

Hit the "Run cleaner" button and IMMEDIATELY reboot when it finishes.

Test.

After that try a Defrag of the HDD, reboot again and test.

Zee

3. debodun

debodun Thread Starter

Thanks for the prompt reply and advice about CCleaner. Today while browsing, a blue screen appeared saying "There are no spare stack pages. It may be necessary to increase the setting of 'MinSPs' in System.ini to prevent possible stack faults." Why am I suddenly now getting stack error messages?

4. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

See this:

Error Message: There Are No Spare Stack Pages

Zee

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Uncheck and disable these startup entries in MSCONFIG:

QuickTime Task qttask.exe

StillImageMonitor stimon.exe
    (My HP scanner and printer works fine without this one being enabled. If yours doesn't work right afterwards, go back and re-enable it.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What brand name, model name, and model number is your computer?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. ZeRealBigBoss

ZeRealBigBoss

You have two firewalls running, ZoneAlarm and ETrust. I would suggest that one is enough; take out VSMON, as you are running the full anti-virus package of ETrust. Do you need STIMON and KodakCCS continuously running? And try to go easy on anti-virus-, adware- and other such programs; run e.g. Spybot once in a while and not continously and change to a smaller anti-virus, e.g. AVG. If you browse the internet and read mails with your brain in functioning mode, you only need the basic protection and to do a full run maybe once a week or so. On my machines ZoneAlarm runs continuously in the halfway relaxed mode and we have also an extended HOSTS file, but no anti-virus program continuously running; on promise of my personal wrath and the threat that I will reclaim all damages from their salaries, no-one takes chances by clicking on anything suspicious. You should see the difference it makes in efficiency and speed. Only all incoming documents and addendums are scanned rigorously and, of course and just to make sure, everything outgoing; I don't like to have people pointing fingers in my direction. We also have a lot of one-to-one file transfers with collegues, but also those people realise what it costs them to be foolish, so hardly any worry.

As Blue-Zee said, running ccleaner every now and then is extremely functional.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/705160

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice