1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 98 Start menu question

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by thomahan, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomahan

thomahan Thread Starter

I find so many answers to so many questions here, I was wondering if someone could enlighten me on the start menu in Windows 98.

I have a computer set up on my network with windows 98.
    I have the administrator password set up and everything works pretty good.

The way I have it set up is that when I log on as the administrator, it shows the desktop, start menu and task bars.
    I have it set to not show the desktop if I just hit 'cancel' at the log on prompt. I also have the start menu on 'Autohide' if 'cancel' is hit at the log on prompt. So in essence, if one of my children were to get on it(not knowing my password), all they will see is a green screen.
    With the Start menu on 'Autohide', it will still show when the cursor is placed over it. I would like to set it up so it doesn't even show up unless I log in with my administrator ID and password.
    Is this possible, or am I grasping at straws?

I should also mention that this machine had Windows 95 originally, and was upgraded. It was not a 'new installation'. In fact, when you access the system properties, the OS still shows as Windows 95.
    Appreciate any help you all could give me.
    Thanks.

TM

2. dogbonz

dogbonz

Hi Thomahan,

I'm pretty sure there's no way to disable the "Start"
    button, and still have it work at all.

Sounds like the machine is buttoned-up pretty well
    they way you have it.

-bonzie

3. thomahan

thomahan Thread Starter

I thought not. It never hurts to ask.
    Every now and then, someone has a little trick or tweak they've learned.
    Really just wondering.
    Thanks.

TM

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221375

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice