Windows 98 start up error...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mad Linx

well, last night, i was trying to install a printer...and it didnt have the right driver for windows 98, so i unistall it..went to epson and downloaded the right driver...but after i unistall the wrong driver, i had to restart...so i restarted and when i saw my wallpaper, the screen turned blue with an error:
A fatal Exeption 0E has occurred at 0028:C020FDD in VXD IOS (04) + 00002031. The current application will be terminated.
so i click enter, and it went back into a black screen, and i click ctrl + alt + del
and it showed me that only one program was running and that was Vsmon....

I am on safe mode right now.....
right now i am on my laptop....
so can anyone tell me how i can fix this error?

Max Linx,

Have you tried to boot up your desktop again ??

"Sometimes" the BSOD is a one-time occurence. Post results.

Hi and welcome to TSG :)

try this:

If your machine is switched on - Start > Shut Down > Restart in MSDOS.

At the prompt type in scanreg /restore .....(note the space after scanreg) hit Enter Key.

You should be able to select a date to restore your registry to that is prior to your problem.

If you are not in Safe Mode constantly tap f8 to get you to the Start menu and select the option that will allow you to get to the Command Prompt. Then type in scanreg /restore.

Mad Linx

i am on safe mode...and i dont have restart in MSDOS...
all i have is restart and shutdown..
so i restart the pc, tap f8, and click command prompt?
but then it ask me if i want to use cd-rom support...
and then it says i am missing a file in config.....

Make sure there is no boot floppy in the floppy disk drive when trying to get to a command prompt on restart.

You can try restarting and holding the ctrl key to get the boot menu. Choosing the command prompt option you can run scanreg /restore

Make sure the registries available are not very old though, if they are cancel out and restart to Safe Mode again.

I'm not sure if scanreg /restore will work for this, but it's worth a shot.

If it doesn't, return to Safe Mode.

In Safe Mode run msconfig. Select the Advanced tab and put a check in "force compatibilty mode" and reboot.

This should get you in without the error, and you will even have internet access. However you will not have CD-ROM support and the system will be much slower.

We need to figure out which *.vxd in the c:\windows\system\iosubsys folder is causing the problem.

Open a command prompt (start > run: command)
At the prompt enter:

dir c:\windows\system\iosubsys > c:\windows\desktop\iosubsys.txt

Copy/paste or upload as an attachment that text file here

Mad Linx

ah....i did the scanreg /restore....
and it basically just unistall my adapters (no internet)...
but it seems like the error is gone...i didnt lose anything except the error and my internet...now i gotta figure out how to install my internet again..

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online