Windows 98 Startup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dpoul

I had a computer with Win 95 on it and completed deleted the operating system with hopes of installing Win 98. However, WHEN i PUT in the Win 98 boot disk, nothing happens. I don't even get an A prompt. The only messages I get are System Disk Error. I know this disk works because it worked in another computer. How can I get this to work.

How did you delete the operating system? You can't just delete it, you have to format the drive.

Which bootdisk are you using?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi and welcome.

Is the floppy set to boot first?

dpoul

The system was messed up by someone at work who was horsing around and typed C: format s and wiped 95 out.

dpoul

Yes, I checked the BIOS and the floppy is set to boot first.

What OS is the bootdisk made for?
Did you get it from a website, or make it yourself?
I think you are supposed to use a 98 bootdisk to install 98 but im not sure.

dpoul

I took an original Windows 98 boot disk, copied it to my computer and then put it on a floppy

Thats the problem then.
See, the computer can't boot from the disk unless different files are saved on certain phsical locations within the disk. THat is why you need to use a disk image creation program to create a boot disk.
Follow Candy's instructions to get a boot disk.

dpoul

Just created the boot disk from the suggested site. Will try tomorrow and let you know how I made out. Thanks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online