1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 98 takes long time to boot-up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Feral Geek, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feral Geek

Feral Geek Thread Starter

I am looking at a PC for a friend of mine which has Windows 98 installed and it takes at least 10 minutes to boot-up. (Very old system) Once it has reached the GUI, it runs fine. Here are the specs: 1. Compaq Deskpro XL 6150
    Pentium Pro Processor (Windows 98 Operating System)
    Drive C: 993 MB
    Drive D: 993 MB
    32 MB RAM

Any suggestions as to why it takes so long to boot-up? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have run scandisk, defragged the HD.
    Thanks in advance.
    Feral Geek

2. Deathblow

Deathblow

Have you checked for viruses, trojans, and the like? Might want to boot up with a boot log and check for any errors in there as well.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    F_G:

According to this site(I struck out with the Crucial and Kingston sites), the Compaq Deskpro XL 6150 has 4 RAM slots and supports a maximum of 512 MB of RAM.

Windows 98 is going to run very slow with only 32 MB of RAM, and some programs are going to take long to load - if they don't freeze up first. You need to increase it to at least 128 MB of RAM.

The startup load also needs to be trimmed down as much as possible.

Even though 2 hard drives are installed, they equal less than 2 GB, so you need to work at cleaning out as much junk as possible.

You didn't mention how fast the processor is, but I'm guessing that it's 233 MHz or slower.

Clean the link below and read some of the articles there. They should be helpful to you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274754

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice