1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 98 to Windows Xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by teresa_banksuk, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. teresa_banksuk

teresa_banksuk Thread Starter

Hi all!

Not sure if I am in the right place here! I have just bought a new pc which has Windows Xp on, I am currently using Windows 98. This may sound like a stupid question, but will all my windows 98 software work on the new computer? Also, I have some software from way back which is windows 95 but runs on Windows 98 - will these work on xp?

Thanks!! :D

2. $teve

$teve

hi teresa.......its a little hit and miss whether your old progs will be compatible,98.....very possibly,95...........probably not in most cases.

3. Jtoast

Jtoast

if you have any problems running your software, try right clicking on the icon and setting the program to run in windows 95, 98 etc compatability mode.

not perfect but works pretty well.

4. mal1930

mal1930

HI, I have not had many problems but I do not game. I ran a dual boot for a while as the scanner would not work but eventually found new drivers.

It is worth switching to XP though and sometimes you might be able to find an update to fix some of the programs. Peace Mal

5. Del

Del

Go to Microsoft.com and the XP site there, should be a compatibitity area that can tell you what is compatible.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Microsoft only tells you what it has tested, many applications that don't appear on their list work just fine. You'll really just have to try them if there is no definitive answer on compatibility.

7. Del

Del

Was just suggesting a starting point John. A place to begin.
    The software itself could also have updated drivers or such.
    Again just a for what it's worth.

8. teresa_banksuk

teresa_banksuk Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help, guys, I just realised something else I'd like to ask - how do I hook up my old computer to my new one in order to transfer files, documents, programs, etc? Will I need to buy some sort of attachment/cable? If so, any idea what kind and where I can get one? Many thanks

9. The_Egg

The_Egg

There's a fair few different methods.

The simplest one is to (temporarily?) take the hard drive out of the old machine and put it into the new one (set it up as a Slave drive on IDE1, or as master/slave/auto on IDE2, depending on what other drives are already connected).
    Then just copy the files over.

Another method is "Direct Cable Connection" via the serial ports.
    Type ^this^ into WinXP Help for further info!
    Yes, you will need a special cable for this, just ask at your local pc store and they'll know exactly what it is you're after.

Another method is to hook both pc's up via Network Cards, or via a LAN.

Another method is to upload everything to a server or some webspace and then download it onto the other pc. Naturally, a hi-speed connection is useful here . . .

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117178

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice