1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 98 upgrade trouble

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by MPrice8762, Nov 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MPrice8762

MPrice8762 Thread Starter

I installed Win 98 on my backup computer (Gateway 166) There were several error messages and now I have no start block or shortcuts on the desktop, so I can go nowhere. I've tried both Win 95 & Win 98 start up disks and safe modes but no luck. I can't even uninstall Win 98. Please help. Thanks in advance.

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

It really depends on the error messages you recieved. I can't advise on those. You can always start with a bootdisk and choose to format the drive. That will wipe everything clean. Do a fresh install. Are you using an upgrade disk? A restore disk?

3. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    A blank desktop and missing Start button/Taskbar sounds like you installed an early edition W98 upgrade to a W95 PC that was running IE5 or better. That will corrupt the desktop and cause the problems your describing.

Can you post the exact error message you were getting?

Short of a clean install like Mosiac suggested and if the problem is being being caused by what I think it is, the only thing I know of to save the PC would be an uninstall or reinstall of IE5. If you want to try it, this is how it can be done in some cases.

Restart the PC and keep pressing F8 til you get the startup menu. Select the option for "Command Prompt Only".

Then type in Edit c:\windows\system.ini and press enter. Now change the line that reads Shell=Explorer.exe to Shell=Winfile.exe

Now press the ALT key and then use the down arrow to highlight "Save" and press enter.

Now press alt/ctrl/del to restart the PC. If it boots to FileManager click on File>Run

Key in c:\progra~1\intern~1\setup\setup.exe

Click on OK and follow the prompts and complete the setup routine.

If that command doesnÂ’t work try this if you had IE5 installed

c:\progra~1\intern~1\ie5setup.exe

or this if you had IE 6

c:\progra~1\intern~1\ie6setup.exe

Click on OK and follow the prompts and complete the setup routine.

Now Restart the PC to a Command Prompt again. Then Edit c:\windows\system.ini and change the Shell=Winfile.exe back to Shell=Explorer.exe and save the changes. Now press alt/ctrl/del to restart the PC and let it boot into Windows.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60119

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice