1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 98--video card, driver problem??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xfile47, Aug 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Just wondering if someone can tell me why

About a month or alittle more ago this person that has a windows 98 computer was having a problem, where her computer would start up in safe mode once in awhile and even when it was in normal mode it would look like it does in safe mode. Anyway I got a newer driver for there video card and installed it and everything cleared up right away. everything was really good.

Today she called and said it started in safe mode and looked fuzzy.
    I went over there and it was in normal mode but looked like it was in safe mode kind of the same thing as before.

I still had the new driver on a cd so I went to device manager and click on the display adapter and went to the driver part and clicked on new driver and pointed it toward the cdrom and it installed the driver again and everything cleared right back up like it did the first time it was installed.

The first time the driver need updateing it was old and never had been.
    Why would it get corrupted now or what ever happened and then installed the new driver again took care of it. Is there another problem I should be looking at also? or am I going to have to keep reinstalling the driver? If it happens again. Can someone enlighten me?? Thanks

2. Dick1038

Dick1038

In the past, I had a virus that would randomly delete drivers. I had to reformat the HD. Suggest doing a virus scan. I've had viruses that weren't detected by a scan. Wait for other suggestions before you decide to reformat, however.

3. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Thank you, I appreciate the input very much.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/393495

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice