1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 98 ~ vmm32.vxd

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by iLLegaL89, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iLLegaL89

iLLegaL89 Thread Starter

hey people,

I have an old computer which doesnt load into windows,( the problem is i need some coursework off it for school by tomorrow! :( ) instead it just stops at the screen with the windows "flag" and then goes onto a black screen saying vmm32.vxd file missing or curupted. I browsed through the web and found pages of what to do. This is what is said:

1. Insert a Windows 98 Startup disk, and then restart your computer to a command prompt. Select Start computer with CD-ROM support.
    2. Note the drive letter assigned to your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.
    3. Insert the Windows 98 CD-ROM into the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.
    4. At the command prompt, type C:, and then press ENTER.
    5. Type CD\Windows\System, and then press ENTER.
    6. Type rename dibeng.dll dibeng.old, and then press ENTER.
    7. Type Ext, and then press ENTER.
    8. At the Please enter the path to the Windows CAB files (a:) message, type drive:\win98 (where drive is the drive letter that you noted in step 2), and then press ENTER. For example, type
    E:\win98
    and then press ENTER.

NOTE: If you have an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) installation of Windows, the cabinet (CAB) files may be located in the following folder:
    C:\WINDOWS\Options\Cabs
    9. At the Please enter the name(s) of the files(s) you want to extract message, type dibeng.dll, and then press ENTER.
    10. At the Please enter the path to extract to ("Enter" for current directory) message, type C:\Windows\System, and then press ENTER.
    11. At the Is this okay? (y/n) message, type y, and then press ENTER.

The file is extracted.
    12. Remove the Windows 98 Startup disk, and then restart the computer.

I lost my bootup disc so i downloaded 1 from the internet, however when i insert it doesnt do what it says in this and instead it says insert a proper disc??

Plz help! Thx in advance for your help :)

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

When you "downloaded a boot disk", did you run the downloaded program that then creates the boot disk?

Putting the downloaded program itself on the disk is not correct.

3. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Try a registry restore.

Boot to a command prompt and enter

c:\windows\command\scanreg /Restore

From the list of dates, choose one when the PC booted correctly (presumably the last one).

Follow the prompts, and reboot.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323976

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice