1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 98 vs. Windows XP.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by DDC, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DDC

DDC Thread Starter

I am now reformatting my HD and have a choice of Windows 98SE and Windows XP. I was wondering what you all though would be best for me? I really didn't like Windows XP because i thought it tried too much stuff for you. But I was wondering what you all thought?

2. lobotech

lobotech

hi DDC
    in my case I found XP more simple & with more features than 98.
    specially the " plug and play " Because XP is loaded with many drivers
    Many more hardware are recognized by XP.

3. scutch2222

scutch2222

very true about the driver situation...so if you wanted to upgrad your PC it will be less stress finding a driver for it :> ... xp is also less likely to blue screen, xp is also more customizable( spelled wrong)

4. scutch2222

scutch2222

also you can not find tech support on microsoft for 98 any more but xp u can ;)

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I have 2 computers - one with Windows 98SE and one with Windows XP. I enjoy both operating systems.

DDC:

What are the specs of your computer? The hardware may not be compatible for a Windows XP upgrade. Go here and run the XP-Readiness test and see what the results are.

Scutch:

Microsoft is continuing to provide tech support and updates for Windows 98SE until June 30, 2006. Even if that wasn't the case, there are plenty of sites out there that provide it.

6. DDC

DDC Thread Starter

I'm running this.

Asus P4P800 Deluxe mobo.
    P4 2.4 GHz w/ hyper thread
    Plexter CD/RW
    Seagate Barracuda S-ATA 80 gig HD
    2x256 Corsair 400 mhz RAM (dual architecture enabled)
    GeForce FX 5200 128 mb Video card.

That's really about it, I am a gamer so I will probably buy some more RAM later. This rig fit into my budget though.

Oh, and is hyper threading technology that good? Because you have to have Windows XP to use it :/

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This is a no-brainer, put XP on it!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218285

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice