1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 98 woes

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by djdad, Jan 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. djdad

djdad Thread Starter

Well, here goes..... After installing a new ram chip (Kinston 256 pc133: giving me a total of 448) because my computer kept freezing, now i have more problems. Just few problems I'll list are: When clicking "my computer" icon on desktop it delays about 20 seconds before opening; aol freezes up everytime I try to open it, unless i reinstall it everytime; When trying to install windows again my computer freezes no matter which why I try to run the install; When I hit "cntrl+alt+del" to close some running programs almost all of them don't respond prompting the dreaded "end task" window to appear...There are more problems I would like to get an idea of what I may have done wrong. I also get the error message "Msgsvr. not responding" and "fatal exeption messages @ kernall.32".
    A brief history of the abuse my machine has been through is as follows in no particular order: upgrade to a bad 256 ram chip prompting the purchase of the kingston; a new cd burner insalled by myself; tried to reinstall windows to fix problems, didn't work; constant deletion of program files from hard drive(boot leg software that didn't come with "uninstall.exe"; tried new hard drive that my friend gave me out of his machine which had windows problems also; installed new fan to shell.
    Any suggestions welcomed with opened arms. I have an ASUS motherboard running a 10 gig hd @733 mhz and 448 mb of ram under windows 98se. I also tried to uninstall windows but I couldn't figure out how.

2. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:( Sounds like it's time to start from scratch. Do you have a full version WIN98SE CD and a WIN98 startup (boot disk)? Also we need some additional info about the computer itself. Ie: Name brand or "clone", hard drive size, memory (ram) installed etc.

Kilowatt

Oh yea. Welcome to TSG!!

3. djdad

djdad Thread Starter

I had it built by compu-serve; it has a 10 gig westell digital HD, intel pentium III 733 mhz, 448 ram, I have the win install disk but no startup disk, I don't care about the programs on my machine i just want my baby back.Thnks

4. jmatt

jmatt

5. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hiya---- It would help if you could find the motherboard ID, make and model- there are some specific files you will probably need to download or install if you have a CD that came with the system...not the Windows disk, one that may say Drivers, System Applications, something like that....one thing that people do is rush into formatting the hard drive, forgetting about the drivers they have to replace, hardware makes and models, etc.
    How about your Product Key for Windows? Got Microsoft Office or Works Suite= some parts of that have a Key, also.
    Got Favorite sites backed up to a floppy or something?
    How about your passwords....sites you have to sign into, at least once, will not let you in if you have no way of re-entering your user name and pwds.
    Here is a handy trick: There is a handy tool we have people download called the BelArc Advisor- which displays lots of system information in a handy Explorer page....it can show you the make and model of most all your devices, like video, sound, modem, hard disk, program versions....and the Product Key if you can't find it. HERE
    The Free Download tab at top is what you want.

6. djdad

djdad Thread Starter

I guess what I guess I'm trying to get at is how to uninstall my windows and reinstall it. I have the disk that came with my computer when I had it built. It has the installation and other crap on it. I went to the Microsoft page and it said that I could unistall it under "add/remove programs"., but I can't. They want me to call them long distance and pay them to tell me how to do this. I realize I will lose everything but I just want my computer to work correctly again. I have learned what not to I just want to know what to do now.
    Byteman, Ihave already tried to reinstall everything i have. I am not sure what you are getting at in your response. I am pretty sure that in my working I have done something bad to windows and just want to fix it. Sorry if I sound rash i'm going crazy here.
    Thanks for your help.

7. Byteman

Hiya-----What I posted about WAS for a reinstall, where you erase everything, no data left on drive---so, trying to save you lots of aggravation later on. Making sure you realize that some devices are not going to be working or set up right, until you install first: chipset drivers from motherboard or system CD. If you have one, good, if not, you can copy the download to a CD that will play in your computer's CD drive to install the drivers from. Or, you can just after installing Windows, get online (IF your Internet device, modem, etc is working) and download them from the motherboard site. The drivers are quite important, check the links you were given about that.
    We will be glad to help further, but it would be great to have the information on your system already in some posts here to use. You would get much faster and better help by helping us.
    Formatting the hard drive is easy, fun and can be a real solution ----or, it can be a hard way to learn about drivers and the right way to reload a system. If you do not have the Restore type of Windows disk....you will probably need some pre-formatting information. Doesn't sound like you have done this too much, lots of us havent and had to learn. We are just here to make it a lot better time for ya!

8. djdad

djdad Thread Starter

Hey brother, I'm sorry if I came across kinda ******, I have every driver and cd for every piece of hardware I own and even the software. Including the serial numbers and everything key to the process. I'm here to listen and learn. Obviously you guys are more experianced at this than I am so I apologize if I don't follw you all the way. My system information is in previous posts, if you need more please be spacific. thanks

9. Byteman

Well, if you have all the drivers and motherboard details- go do it. The links above will show you- any problems just post back to the same thread. Have fun!

10. djdad

djdad Thread Starter

Well, some good news. After following the directions for a clean install some problems have cleared up. i.e. .dll errors and fatal exceptions. However, After performing a clean install i thought I would lose my non-windows applications. I lost nothing and I still have a problem with "my computer". Once I get a couple of windows in, it still locks up. I downloaded a utility for defrag\maint. and it says my memory is 292 mb free out of 448 mb., and zero percent fragmented drive c:. Thanks for all your help guys and keep it coming.

11. Byteman

ZHi- I can't see how you still have programs you had before if the drive was formatted- only way would be if the hard drive was divided into more than one partition.
    Go into the device manager.....are there any red X's or yellow exclamation marks next to anything?

12. jmatt

jmatt

13. djdad

djdad Thread Starter

Control panel problem fixed itself with the exception of opening slowly from time to time. Only problem left is evey-so-often A random program won't respond. Such as stand-by. Nothing is in conflict according to device manager. All drivers and hardware are working properly
    My system is running 110% better now and I thank you guys for your help. If I have any new problems in the near future I'll post 'em up. Thanks again.

14. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:p Hello DJ,

Glad to see you got it sorted. A good idea is to go ahead and run a defrag and scan disk on the newly installed system as to optimize it performance wise.

Kilowatt

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111381

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice