Windows 98,XP networking problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Nickey

Hello, I have a home network that consisted of two machines, one with 98 the other with XP. They worked fine. Now I have added a third machine that runs XP. It is the gateway for my Internet connection. My problem is that it constantly tries to connect to the Internet. When I disable the LAN the attempts to dial up stop. When I connect just the two XP machines, no activity. When I add the 98 machine it starts again. I have tried various selections for the Internet connection but no luck. Can someone help?
Thanks
Nickey

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Install a firewall on the W98 machine, and restrict all connections. See what tries to connect while it's just sitting there, that's the service or applications that is causing it to dial. I suspect the free version of Zone Alarm would be sufficient for this test.

Del

Have you thought of using a router? It will solve all your problems.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Then there's Del, always trying to do things the easy way! :D:D:D

Del

Yup, as cheap as routers have gotten lately, seems a waste to get all tangled up in software and problems that can be avoided.

Guess it comes from being born in the BIG EASY..:cool:

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I will confess that I've never used ICS, when a client wants broadband connectivity, I insist on a router. :)

Before I had broadband, I had what MultiTech calls a dial-up proxy server, which is just another name for a router. Works just like the newer broadband models, and made it painless to share the ISP. Well, except for the painfully slow dial speeds! :D:D

Nickey

Thanks for the help, I'm still working on it. And a router may be an option.

Del

Just a lot less software issues with the router and you don't have to have one machine online so the others can connect.

Nickey

Well, I have it working but I didn't solve the problem. I made the older machine with XP on it the Internet sharer. No problems with it so far. I think I might still check into a router, it is a hassle that that machine has to be on to get online.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online