1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by loydco2, Feb 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. loydco2

loydco2 Thread Starter

I have windows 98 on a Gateway. I had installed a new keyboard and mouse a couple months ago. I had to do a recovery disk on the computer. Now it comes up to enter user name and password screen. I cannot do this because the keybord and mouse do not work the keyboard lights up but goes to standby and does't do anything else. If I could get by the start up I could reinstall the keyboard and mouse. Any suggestions on how to to get to windows?
    Thanks
    Loyd
    :confused:

2. A Hawk

A Hawk

I'm hoping you'll be able to get into bios. Hold the del key down on boot up,(or which ever key it says to hold down to enter setup.) Once in bios look at the top right corner it should say administrator password and below should be user password. Scroll over to user p/word with your up &down arrows,once on it hit enter and a box should come up wanting a p/word, hit enter again,( that should get rid of any passwords), next hit esc and then scroll to save&exit press enter, then typing y & enter and your pc should startup. While your in bios do the same on admin password. Hope this helps.

3. loydco2

loydco2 Thread Starter

Thanks for trying to help. I got into safe mode but still can't download the cd for the keyboard. In safe mode the cd rom doesn't work. Thanks again:)

4. Del

Del

Have you tried just clicking ok?

5. loydco2

loydco2 Thread Starter

When the login comes up the mouse or keyboard doen't work. There is no way to click ok. Thanks for trying.:)

6. labayou

labayou

Hi
    did the new keyboard and mouse ever work on this system?

If not, can you put the old ones back on to give you access to bios, which probably will solve the password problem, if not other problems, but you HAVE to have a keyboard.

Or (am I crazy) might I suggest using a plain old keyboard and mouse from another system...friends? (havent I learned my lesson about swapping parts???) But honestly i dont think swapping in a PLAIN old keyboard will hurt anything...right??? Uses Windows basic i/o instructions.

I assume the new ones are optic or something above plain old keyboard or were they replaced due to damage or something?

Gateway has a good recovery cd but of course you need at least a keyboard.

labayou

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Are the keyboard and mouse USB?

8. loydco2

loydco2 Thread Starter

I had to replace the keyboard and mouse the old one was shot.They worked until I did the recover. They will work in Safe Mode I would reinstall the keyboard I have the cd but can't due to no cd drive in safe mode. Thanks for trying sooner or later I will get this worked out.
    Thanks Again:confused:

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Can you copy the contents of the driver cd to the hard drive while you are in dos mode?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119655

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice