1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 98

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cmed, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cmed

cmed Thread Starter

A friend ask me to look at her computer. she is elderly and was having trouble with the mail program. She has IE and outlook express for mail system.Win98 is her operating system. With her grandkids messing with the computer it's really in bad shape. Hardly opertional. No toolbars showing, no clock, etc. Where do I start? I'm sure IE needs upgrading. Doesn't show sings of a virus. She has dial-up. Same ISP for the lastten years. Any suggestions? I deleted mail dated back to October of 2005.

2. bbearren

bbearren

Navigate to the Accessories menu, and there is a system management utliity that I can't remember the name of; but one of its menu options is to check system files and restore them from the CD if they are corrupted.

3. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

I would start in the 98 forum.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You posted this in the "Windows NT/2000/XP" section instead of the "Windows 95/98/ME" section, so let's see if a Moderator moves it to the correct section. In the meantime, I'll reply to your thread.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The best option would be to format the hard drive and wipe it out completely and then do a fresh install of Windows 98/98SE. I suspect though that it's not what you really want to do or are able to do.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does it have an antivirus program that's up-to-date with the latest definition files? If it does, run a full system scan with it.

Are you familiar with how to install and update and use Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06 and Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4 to detect and clean out the buildup of spyware, malware, etc.?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you give us some specs on that computer?

Processor speed.

Amount of RAM.

Hard drive size and amount of free space left.

Windows 98(4.10.1998) or Windows 98SE(4.10.2222).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the grandkids have been messing with it, it's a pretty good guess that it's loaded with a bunch of useless programs, junk files, spyware, etc..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. cmed

cmed Thread Starter

Yes, I can do that. Would it do any good to upgrade IE. I never checked but I'm sure it's one of the first programs.

6. cmed

cmed Thread Starter

The next time that I'm there I'll check those things out if she will allow me to do that. The lady is set in her ways and feels that with a flick of a key all will be up to date. I got it to where she can send and recieve mail and is able to play some games which she likes to do. That may satisfy her with out further help.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If she's set in her ways and won't let you do much with it, you're beating your head against the wall.

Some computer maintenance would help though. I bet it has a ton of junk inside the C:\WINDOWS\TEMP folder.

8. cmed

cmed Thread Starter

She is satisfied I guess. I really don't think she uses it hardly at all. I think she just enjoyed my company while I looked at her computer. Thanks for all the help and replys.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. If you need more assistance, just let us know.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537660

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice