windows 98

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rwchevy2

A fellow worker brought in a HP pavilion 8562 which had been upgraded from 98se to xp home. Went surfing on the net with no antivirus program and became loaded with trojans.

Tried running recovery disk and selected option to format and recovery. Seemed to do okay but came up with message not enough disk space. remove cd and restart system. I did and the only thing I get is Invalid system disc please insert cd. Tried again and get same message every time.

Also cannot bring it up in safe mode either.

Any help would be appreciated by me and fellow co worker.

PS do i need to remove xp?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Reverting from XP back to 98SE isn't a good idea at all because you'll be dealing with a 9-year old operating system that's very susceptible to security-related issues and that you'll find very difficult to get new hardware and software to work with it.

If a full version XP CD is available to format the hard drive and reinstall XP, that's the best way to go. If the XP CD is an upgrade version, a 98SE or ME CD will also be needed. No startup floppy disk is needed. Myself or someone else can give you instructions on how to format the hard drive and do a fresh install of XP.

The hardware specs on that HP Pavilion 8562 are almost identical to what's in my HP Pavilion 8565. I increased the original 128 MB of RAM to 384 MB. With that amount, the Intel Pentium III 500 MHz processor doesn't run XP that slow at all.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

SDFOX 7

Banned
You asked if you need to remove XP. If you didn't then that is why you are having a problem. XP is NTFS. You need to delete NTFS and create FAT.

To install Windows 98, download a Windows 98 boot disk from http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm. After downloading, double click and insert empty floppy in drive.

After creating 98 boot disk, reboot.

Boot PC;

Select boot with CD-ROM support;

when the CD-ROM drivers are loaded,

switch to a:\ and type fdisk.

NOTE: Because XP is NTFS, you will receive an error that there is not a valid FAT partition. Hit enter.

Select delete partition,

then create primary DOS,

use all available space for partition, YES.

Then restart, with CD-ROM support,

after drivers are loaded, type format c:\

YES,

after format, type e:\setup.

Windows 98 setup will begin.

If you don't have a floppy drive, you will need to have a bootable 98 CD.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online