Windows 98SE computer wont start

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

thebike

Ok,

Last night I was on my computer and it was working fine. I didn't do anything that I could have got a virus from but i did download the new version of Winzip which I considered safe. So I turned off my computer and went to sleep.

This morning I wake up and turn on my computer and it gets stuck on the loading screen with the windows logo. I waited like 5 minutes and then restarted it, same thing, so I restart again and go on to safe mode. Safe mode seems to be working fine and I am doing spyware scans but my antivirus program (crappy Shaw Secure) doesn't seem to want to start up.

So I am wondering do I have a boot loader virus? What should I do? (don't really want to take it in to a repair place...)

Im just confused because if it was a virus I would think it would disable safe mode.

Thanks in advance,
Cam

P.S Im running scandisk in safe mode right now but in safe mode with networking I am not able to get on to the internet:eek: does anyone know why this is

hmmm many times if you do have a virus they stop the anti virus from working or you could delete the file or download you downloaded and get some better anti virus as like Avast! or mcaffe and get some spybot, trojan, and firewall downloads also make sure its the most up to date virsion of your OC

thebike

thanks, i would download some better programs if the internet would work, do you think it is a virus stopping the internet from working. (It works fine on my other computer which I am typing this from

thanks,

blues_harp28

Hi..try restoring the registry..
Tap f 8 at start up..choose command prompt..type..scanreg/restore
Choose date prior to problem..not the oldest..

thebike

thanks so much!!!! you are brilliant! You just saved me the 200$ I would have spent at the repair place. Do you know if the virus is gone now that my system is running or should i do a full scan etc. to get rid of the virus if it is still there.

Thanks a ton!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online