1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 98SE network access denied

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by johannwalter, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johannwalter

johannwalter Thread Starter

Win 98SE 256mg RAM C drive 40mg; D drive 20mg;
    E = HP CD-Writer Plus 9200 ..

I can use either Roxio Adaptec Direct CD writer or the simpler MyCD writer. Both copy to and from the CD-RW. However, I cannot erase or delete a file once it has been copied to the CD. Attrib doesn't help. I get the error "Network Access is Denied. Contact your Network Administrator for Access Rights," or the simply "Access Denied." Both Adaptec and MyCD promise that the CD can be used just like a floppy drive, but they can't, due to these error messages. I've read all about administrator rights and permissions for Win-2000 thru XP, but I find nothing for Win-98 or Win-98SE. Where do I go in my control panel or "My Computer" or wherever to let the computer know that it is a single, at-home user, no one else ever uses, not on a network? Why does this "Network Access" message even appear in a stand-alone computer not connected to a network? Is it the CD drive itself, or something else? :)

2. johannwalter

Oops .... that's a 40gig & 20gig hard drive.......

3. griffinspc

griffinspc

That's normal. When you burn it becomes permanent. The software allows you to drag and drop or copy/move directly to the CD and copy back but not move back either since that would entail deleting it which is Physically impossible. On a rewritable disk you can overwrite it or burn over it which in a sense deletes it.

Did that explanation make sense? :)

4. johannwalter

You mean I've acquired all this grey hair for naught? What a relief - I think. I wish they would simply say that, instead of all that other business.

Thanks very much!

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Wait a sec.

Are you burning to a CD-R or a CDRW disk?

6. johannwalter

CD-RW .. I don't use the CD-R.

7. ~Candy~

I know. But the disks that you are burning to say what on top? CDR or CDRW?

8. johannwalter

Memorex CD-RW compact disc 700 mb 80 minute

9. ~Candy~

Griff, back to you my dear ;)

10. griffinspc

griffinspc

I still think you can lose the gray hairs.

11. ~Candy~

Quote:
    I cannot erase or delete a file once it has been copied to the CD.

But if she is using CDRW, she should be able to delete.

12. KMW

KMW

re administrator

I found this below in another forum, unfortunately it didn't say what operating system
    I had the same problem in ME a few weeks back

check this possibility...........
    This error is caused by applied Registry restrictions, 'This operation has been canceled
    due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.'
    If you have SpyBot installed, run the program, select Immunize and uncheck the IE
    control panel lock selection.

Then if necessary........

Select Start/Run, type REGEDIT in the 'Open' box and press enter. When the Registry
    Editor opens, click 'Edit' on the toolbar and then 'Find'. Next in the 'Find what:'
    window, type NoBrowserOptions and press enter. If the entry is found, it will
    show in the right pane. Right click it and select 'Delete' from the menu, or select
    'Modify' and change the value form '1' to '0'. You can also check the keys below,
    rather than using the 'Find' feature.

NoBrowserOptions - Disable the Tools > Internet Options menu.

Restrictions User Key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Inte rnet Explorer\Restrictions

Restrictions System Key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Int ernet Explorer\Restrictions

There is also a possibility that this restriction has also been set. Just repeat
    the above procedure for:

NoFolderOptions - show/don't show Folder Options Menu in Explorer

Close the editor and reboot...........

13. griffinspc

griffinspc

The message is inconsequential. It's just a fact that you can't erase a burned CD file or CD-ROM disk. You can, as I said, over-write it or overburn it which I like to refer to it as, but that's it. Well you can re-format it too but that's basically just another burn.

You also said;
    I would suggest you check the price differential and start using CD-R's. They're cheap enough that you can burn, use and throw away a few before paying out what CD-RW's cost plus every time you use a CD-RW it eats down through the layers till reliability of the information on it is at risk.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223245

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice