1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 98SE problem after re-install

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Crickets23, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Crickets23

Crickets23 Thread Starter

Thanks to help from the forum I got Windows 98SE re-installed on an old Gateway PC. Briefly, I had to re-install Windows 95, then Windows 98 over it, then upgrades to 98SE (mainly because I didn't have the full Win98 disc at the time to start with).
    Now it starts up fine, but after sitting for a while and after it shuts down in power saver mode, the screen turns to a multi-colored bunch of columns of little squares and rectangles. Pressing a key doesn't return it to the desktop screen and I just have to turn the power off and start it back up and it works fine after that. I didn't want to install any programs or internet onto the PC until I get this straightened out, just in case I had to re-install something all over, but I'm hoping it's just a quick setting or something that needs to be changed, (and not a virus).
    Thanks for any suggestions.

2. rebelmusic

rebelmusic

Go to Start>Settings> Power options

look for power save mode or system standby and change it to never

3. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

98se is old enuff that you should be able to get the full, legit copy from a computer shop for a few $$$.

95 to 98 to se, upgrades are trouble.

4. Crickets23

Crickets23 Thread Starter

Thanks - I'll go ahead and do that, and I'll keep an eye out for the full 98SE disc just to keep around - it sure would have come in handy when I was trying to re-install all this.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327065

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice