1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Windows 98se running Dos program Macola - errors

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by 3dmama, Sep 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 3dmama

3dmama Thread Starter

First Name:
    Andrea
    I hope someone can help me. Our small business accounting system is Macola 6.2 a dos program. I had to replace the hard drive everything was fine except...
    I am getting the error 014 Too many files open simultaneously
    and then just cant do invoices or anything.
    Can anyone help!
    Thanks!
    Andrea

2. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    Was this running on Dos or an earlier version of windows?
    Do you have versions of AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS from your old drive or a backup available?
    There may be some settings that need to come over.

3. 3dmama

3dmama Thread Starter

First Name:
    Andrea
    Hi Sean, thanks for your reply. For the past 19 years we have been running on the same dos and the same windows 98 we. Nothing changed other than I don’t have any records of the old config.sys or auto exec.bat, I had to just make a guess...and I can log into the accounting program and the A/R and customer files look fine it’s just the Inventory Files that come up with Error 14 Too many files open Simultaneously (recoverable)

4. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    Based on your initial posting, I am assuming that when you replaced your hard drive, you installed Windows 98 from the installation media and then restored Macola and company data from backup?
    In any case, you might try adding or modifying a line in your config.sys:
    FILES=40
    Try it with differing amounts.
    It has been a looong time since I did any DOS, and I have no idea what Macola is all about. Perhaps there is a README file somewhere you can look at with some installation instructions.

And I am sure that you don't have to be told that you should think about replacing your system with some software that is supported.

5. 3dmama

3dmama Thread Starter

First Name:
    Andrea
  6. 3dmama

3dmama Thread Starter

First Name:
    Andrea
    upload_2019-9-30_17-1-36.jpeg
    Autoexec.bat

Attached Files:

7. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    Close....
    It should be FILESHIGH=30 not FILEHIGH=30
    That S will make all the difference.

8. 3dmama

3dmama Thread Starter

First Name:
    Andrea
    Hi Sean, thank you so much for taking the time to help me!!! I added the corrected the Fileshigh and still did not work...then I removed the last four lines of the config.sys and then YEAH!! oh Happy Day . The inventory worked and I was able to print a invoice.
    But ... when I tried to Post the Invoice I got the same error as before “Error 14 Too many files open Simultaneously”. Do you have any idea as to what I might try? Thanks again for taking the time to help.

I know that we need to upgrade to a different accounting package but I have 5800 different items in inventory and I am a one woman mail order business, after much checking I have not found any option to transfer Inventory or Customer lists to a new Accounting package other than manually. And that would take a very very long time to do so it has been easy to just not deal with the problem...

9. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    Have you tried increasing the FILESHIGH to 60 or 90?
    I am not sure if removing those last lines from config.sys would have actually helped.
    I have to verify that you are re-booting after making changes to config.sys or autoexec.bat.

I just did some googling... it appears that Macola runs on Progress SQL. Does that sound right?
    If that is the case then it should be possible to export the data you require, with the right expertise. I used to work in a progress shop in the 90s, but not as a developer. I might be able to figure out what to do, or maybe find an ex colleague who does know, but, it would not be something that could be done over this forum.

10. 3dmama

3dmama Thread Starter

First Name:
    Andrea
    Hi again Sean,
    You were so helpful I wanted to share the total steps I learned for my complete fix to run Macola in Windows 98se
    Do Start > Run > System.ini
    Scroll to the [vcache] section
    Add the line
    MaxFileCache=512000
    Save, exit and reboot

Config Settings
    device=c:\windows\himem.sys
    DOS=HIGH,UMB
    devicehigh=c:\windows\emm386.exe noems
    lastdrive=J

Working better than it ever has. I would be interested to find out the possibilities of being able to export and import my files from the DOS Accounting
    Macola 6.2 into a current Accounting package.

Thanks so much! Andrea

11. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    Glad that you were able to get it going.
    From what you posted, it appears that less is more. It could be that settings that needed to be explicitly set under DOS, are now dealt with automatically under win98se.
    Can I ask how you managed to find the working configuration?

As far as getting the data off of the system....
    I am guessing that Macola runs on top of Progress 4GL. It might not. If that it does, then, you should be able to write some SQL queries in the Progress interpreter to export the data into files that in tern can be imported into a new package.
    There may have been manuals that came with your system on how to use the Progress interpreter. You would not need to learn the whole system in order to export the data you need.

What might be an easier path to follow is to upgrade your system to a current version of Macola. I have no idea if they offer that upgrade path, how much it would cost or if you have someone locally available to help you do that.

Have you thought about what system you would replace it with?

12. 3dmama

3dmama Thread Starter

First Name:
    Andrea
    A few years ago I had inquired about upgrading to the new Windows version of Macola but was told they did not have any bridging software to easily import the data. But I believe I might of been speaking with the wrong level of expertise. Their suggestion was to run 2 computers side by side and to just enter into the new system what I needed to process the orders. For me without help ( typical small business issues never enough money) it sounded like a very long process to even know what had not been entered. I have 5800 items and a customer list of 5000. It could be years to operate that way. . It’s just such a shame since my Old Dos Macola 6.2 works so great. I started using it in the 80’s when we were a much larger business and to purchase the software system was really expensive like $40,000. Macola 6.2 and I have grown old together (haha!!)

13. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    Thanks for sharing your story. I was wondering how a small, business like you described wound up with such a premium ERP system. As I said earlier, I used to work for a company that installed and customized a similar system. Unfortunately, these systems are expensive to maintain.

Please tell me that you don't have the windows 98 computer hooked up directly to the internet, and that you are at least going through a router. Also, I hope you limit how you use the internet to dealing with business email and business transactions. That old operating system is very vulnerable to getting infected with Malware.

I wonder how hard it would be to migrate your current Macola system to a Windows 10 computer? It is not the Macola itself that needs to be updated, rather it is the Windows 98 that it is running on that is a problem.

14. 3dmama

3dmama Thread Starter

First Name:
    Andrea
    Hi Sean, I have been thinking about your comment that Macola might run on a more modern operating system. The problem I have found has been that I am not able to post with a more current operating system. Maybe there are other settings that count be inplace to make it work. I do have a windows 10 machine, windows 7 and windows xp computers. I am going to do a bit of testing to see what happens :)

15. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    I would stick to windows 10, as windows 7 is going to be unsupported early next year.
    There is a "compatibility mode" feature you can use in all versions of windows:
    https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-run-programs-in-Windows-98-compatibility-mode
    However, I can see that windows 98 does not seem to be an option on my own version.

Do you have instructions on how to install the Mercola application? I believe that there is a database that needs to be installed first. Which DB are you using?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233648

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice