1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 98SE-says resources or memory bad Will someone read this and see if they know

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by xfile47, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Windows98 SE

The actual error messages I am getting are like these

I keep getting a blue screen saying: "Fatal exception has occured" etc.

I frequently recieve the message: "Windows is running dangerously low on resources"

Often when I try to run a new program I get "Cannot open program. Not enough free memory" I get this message even when I'm not running anything that would be too taxing on memory.

big white rectangle keeps popping up saying I am dangerously low on memory and wants me to close programs etc and when it does that nothing will open like exe is not working, it doesn't even show anything in the start menu when it happens. WORD won't open or anything else.

But when I run everesthome it says theres 256 RAM and that 167 is being used and 88 is free so whats the deal?

If I go into safemode then evereything works ok and even word will open.
    I ran spybot its clean
    ran adware and caught some stuff cleaned it
    have spyblaster, iespyad, scriptdefender
    Norton antiviurs

sometimes if you just restart it then all of a sudden it starts working good except for WORD
    anyone got any ideas, could it be the memory even tho there is that much left? and with that much left would n't it still at least open programs? hERE IS THE HJT LOG

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 5:11:25 PM, on 1/16/07
    Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON INTERNET SECURITY\NISUM.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON INTERNET SECURITY\CCPXYSVC.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\STARTER.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\WILD FILE\GOBACK\GBMENU.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\WEBROOT\SPY SWEEPER\SPYSWEEPER.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\WEBROOT\SPY SWEEPER\WRSSSDK.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINZIP\WZQKPICK.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.desmoinesregister.com/app....dll/frontpage
    O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\INSTALLS\CPN\YCOMP5_5_7_1.DLL
    O2 - BHO: CNavExtBho Class - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\INSTALLS\CPN\YCOMP5_5_7_1.DLL
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iamapp] C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\IAMAPP.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMON.EXE /Consumer
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EnsoniqMixer] starter.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Nisum] C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISUM.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccPxySvc] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\CCPXYSVC.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [nisserv] C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISSERV.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
    O4 - Startup: GoBack.lnk = C:\Program Files\Wild File\GoBack\GBMenu.exe
    O4 - Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
    O4 - Startup: Billminder.lnk = C:\Program Files\QUICKENW\BILLMIND.EXE
    O12 - Plugin for .swf: C:\Program Files\Netscape\Communicator\Program\PLUGINS\npswf32.dll
    O12 - Plugin for .pif: C:\Program Files\Netscape\Communicator\Program\PLUGINS\npaudio.dll
    O16 - DPF: {22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95} (Windows Media Player) - http://activex.microsoft.com/activex...n/nsmp2inf.cab
    O16 - DPF: {DED22F57-FEE2-11D0-953B-00C04FD9152D} (CarPoint Auto-Pricer Control) - http://carpoint.msn.com/components/o...autopricer.cab
    O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (sys Class) - http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/PCPitStop.CAB
    O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/S.../bin/cabsa.cab
    O16 - DPF: {FA3662C3-B8E8-11D6-A667-0010B556D978} (IWinAmpActiveX Class) - http://cdn.digitalcity.com/_media/dalaillama/ampx.cab
    O16 - DPF: {FC11A119-C2F7-46F4-9E32-937ABA26816E} (AMI DicomDir TreeView Control 2.1) - file://D:\CDVIEWER\CdViewer.cab

2. Augie65

Augie65

For the message Windows is running dangerously low on resources, try this, it has worked for me before.
    Search for a file or files on your hard drive named Normal.dot delete any you find then reboot and
    see if that solves the problem.

3. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Is that just for Microsoft word? or for everything

4. Augie65

Augie65

Normal.dot is a Word template. You can either leave the deleted normal.dot in your recycle bin until you see if it solves the problem or you can rename it to OldNormal.dot and see if it helps.

5. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Yea, I was going to do that but then everything started working again. thats why I was trying to get an answer on the power supply cause that is the only thing left really,
    antivirus is clean
    spybot is clean
    adware is clean
    spysweeper clean
    ie-spyad
    scriptdefender
    ran cleanup for all temps, cookies, history
    reset the memory
    I guess I wanted someone to confirm that a power supply on its way out could make it run the way it is, things not opening at all, freezing up, open the start menu and nothing there, then turn it off let it sit awhile and it might be ok for awhile,

and like I said the power supply tester reads that it is bad even tho it starts the computer and runs it sometimes. would a power supply on its way out act like that?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535980

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice