Windows 98SE shutdown problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

southerngq

I am having a problem shutting down my system with Windows 98SE. I have downloaded all of the patches and suppliments available but still cannot shutdown properly.
When I shut the unit down, instead of "actually" shutting down, I get the message" it is now safe to turn off your computer" but the system never goes any further than that.

I am sure this is a easy fix but I do not know what it is.
I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Darren

Hmmm I remember someone having this terouble - if you go into Control Panel, then Power Management - have a look around there - I cant access mine at the momnet so I cant be of further help! Sorry!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Let's take a look at your startup load.

Click Start - Run, type in MSCONFIG, then click OK - Startup(tab).

Write down everything in the left column next to the squares, then post the list here. Make note of which ones are checked, and make sure they're spelled correctly.

Disabling "Fast Find" was a solution I ran across for a 98SE pc that also had the shutdown patches installed some time back. Sorry I don't remember all the particulars to doing this, just that it was an answer that I finally found somewhere and it then worked fine.

Good Luck!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts